Need clown loach help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bates1990

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone know anything about clown loaches because I have one in a ten gallon tank with four pictus catfish and 1 Pleco the loach is about 4 or 5 inches but I'm wondering why he burrows into the gravel under a piece of wood and hides the whole day and he doesn't eat that much everyone else munches down lol what's the deal??

Your tank is WAY over stocked. Basically none of those fish belong in a tank that small.

Clown Loaches get to be 12"+ and need at least a 75 gallon tank.

Pictus catfish get to be at least 10" and need a 55 gallon, at least.

Depending on the pleco, you should have at least a 30 gallon tank (bnp) or 75 gallon + for a common/leopard pleco.

Way too small as stated. I've had clown loaches for several years and have learned they will hide most of the time when they are not in groups of 3 or more.

I have a 95 gallon about to be set up going to buy sand today and pictus only get 6 or 7 inches I have a full grown one but I know I feel bad for them being so cramped so I'm trying to hurry lol but I had a snail problem so I got my loach to cut it down. Do you think he'll act different when he gets into the large tank??

Get him a large tank and some friends and he will become much more social. They also take longer to get comfortable than most. After I bought mine it was a few weeks before they started coming out a lot.

definitely needs a few friends. they will always hide if they dont feel safe and with such a small tank there is no where to run so hiding is all he can do. they are very easy to stress out and commonly get ich for that reason too so keep an eye on him for ich too.

I'd just like to add that buying a fish (especially a loach) to solve a problem like snails is very irresponsible IMO. There are other ways to control snail populations such as cutting back on feeding and snail traps. The quicker you can get the 95g set up the better.

Well I'm new to the game and am making a few mistakes but we learn as we go but I don't see how that's irresponsible if I'm about to set up a 95 gallon an I have a 55 gallon if I need to move him

Bates1990 said:
Well I'm new to the game and am making a few mistakes but we learn as we go but I don't see how that's irresponsible if I'm about to set up a 95 gallon an I have a 55 gallon if I need to move him

I believe she's referring to buying a fish just to eat snails without providing a proper home and doing proper research before hand... If that's the case. If you have the right set up , and enjoy clown loaches than they do a great job keeping snails in check as a side benifit.

Yes I do enjoy clown loaches I purchased him to clear up the snails before transporting everything over to the 95 then I plan on buying another one to be his buddy lol they're so pretty!

Get 3 to 5 and you will not regret it. Very awesome and social fish.

Back
Top Bottom