Need Fast Advice On Heater Please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoobcake

Aquarium Advice Regular
So my heater went out and my water has dropped from 78 to 74. Im purchasing a new heater now Im just wondering how I should buffer the temp back up. Can I just set the heater back to 78 and be good to go? I dont want to up it too quick.

Also i only had this heater about a month. How long do they typically last? Should i be shutting off my heater when I do water changes and the heating element is exposed to air?

Thanks a bunch

Just set it to wherever you want it, it's a fairly slow process so it shouldn't pose a problem.

I suggest putting the heater parallel to the substrate line so that it's never exposed to air during water changes. They crack very easily when the element is hot (lasts several minutes after being unplugged) and water hits it.

Normally heaters last for a while. I am using an aquaclear 70. I leave it on all the time, it turns off when it is at the right temp. If you leave your heater at 78, it'll gradually go up.

Yes, I would bring the temp back up slowly.

Yes, they should last long than one month. Return it for a refund if you kept the receipt.

Yes, you should turn it off during a water change so as not to burn it out.

So I'm an idiot. I went to plug in the new heater and realized the old heater was just unplugged somehow. :facepalm:

Thank you for the quick replies. Time to go return the new one.

Back
Top Bottom