Need fish that go with shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tristenvadv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I got ten fre redshrimps like three weeks ago and they have slowly disapeared and I know only have two (never found bodies) but I need some fish to put in there as the tank just looks empty. The tank is a five gallon and I want some fish that would preferably not eat my shrimp

So I got ten fre redshrimps like three weeks ago and they have slowly disapeared and I know only have two (never found bodies) but I need some fish to put in there as the tank just looks empty. The tank is a five gallon and I want some fish that would preferably not eat my shrimp

In short, there aren't any. The only fish that's commonly kept in the hobby that is safe for shrimp would be an Oto cat which needs a bigger tank than a 10g. Your best bet is to get enough shrimp to start breeding and then keep a fish like a betta in there. Some will get eaten but they breed fast enough to keep populated.

If you have a decent amount of plant cover (especially java moss), you can keep various small fish with shrimp. Yes, some shrimplets will get eaten, but enough will survive, and the adults won't get bothered.

Mine bred successfully in a tank with endlers, kuhli loaches, threadfin rainbows, clown killifish and a bulldog pleco.

I have since added scarlet badis, and I think they may be eating all the shrimplets. Or the new shrimplets are still too small to see. But the adults are fine.

If you have a decent amount of plant cover (especially java moss), you can keep various small fish with shrimp. Yes, some shrimplets will get eaten, but enough will survive, and the adults won't get bothered.

Mine bred successfully in a tank with endlers, kuhli loaches, threadfin rainbows, clown killifish and a bulldog pleco.

I have since added scarlet badis, and I think they may be eating all the shrimplets. Or the new shrimplets are still too small to see. But the adults are fine.

You're right, shrimp do LOVE moss. Also, the more plant cover / safe spots the safer they will be. However in this instance none of those fish suggestions will work as the tank is only 5 gallons.

In my opinion, you could add a small group of chili rasboras or celestial pearl danios.

You're right, shrimp do LOVE moss. Also, the more plant cover / safe spots the safer they will be. However in this instance none of those fish suggestions will work as the tank is only 5 gallons.

You can't keep a scarlet badis in a 5g? I've read around you could have a pair and they'd be fine.

You can but they could eat smaller shrimp and require small live foods to stay alive.

Not much chance of keeping small shrimp and fish in a 5g. Just not enough space for the shrimplets to hide. I have a very heavily planted 60g with lots of CRS and mainly tetras. The CRS colony is stable at about 30-50 (hard to be certain) and every now again a really small shrimp makes it past the early days so the predator/prey balance is working. The fish don't worry any shrimp that won't fit in their mouths.

Ah, I missed that it's only a 5 gallon tank. That's too small for most fish. You could keep a scarlet badis in there, but only if you're willing to supplement with small live foods, or at least frozen. They don't eat flakes or pellets.

Maybe CPD or some kind of micro rasbora, but I've never kept them so can't offer any advice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom