Need geophagus advice!!! Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I really! really! like Geophagus species and would really love to imcorporate one into my tank however heres my worries and need to know if i can make it work.

So I have a 75 gallon planted tank with driftwood and slate rock, I have not started the tank yet and I am just getting everything together. My substrate is black eco-complete, so heres the deal, I understand that they like to dig in sand and like to munch on plant roots. so heres my thoughts if I create an open swim area in my tank with black sand ontop of my eco-complete or maybe just black sand in the swim areas, will the geophagus spend its time digging in that sand and not in the eco-complete that my plants are in? also if they are kept well fed will they not eat my plants or do they not do this much anyway?

Last question will they eat cardinal tetras?

If theres any species of geophagus that would work in my tank please let me know, i dont know much about the fish only what iv been able to find online and that isnt much.

Well, I have never had one, but I did some research before I got my flowerhorn. They will bug the plants most likely no matter how you plan the tank. Most big cichlids will rip up and de-root and eat plants. It's one of the down sides. But, this is just stuff I have read. I hope someone with actual experience pops up. I'm sorry I can't help you out any more.

Iv kinda decided i wasnt going to mess with them...everything i read says exactly what you said that they will tare up my plants, I may keep them later if i ever stop doing a planted tank and want a change

How are the flowerhorns they are very cool fish

That's a good idea. There are tons of fish options with plants out there. I'm a little biased to encourage you to do a rainbow tank. haha

He is great, very active and curious little guy. I'm actually going to have to move him to my planted tank in a few months when he out grows my 36g. At which point, he will ruin everything I have put so much energy into. Oh well, love the little guy more than plants. Well worth it.

I saw some flowerhorns at my LFS today!! They were tiny like 2 inches. I was like woah...I finnally find some. If only I had a bigger tank.

currently my plan is 2x Pair german blue rams, 2x pair Bolivian rams or Cockatoo Dwarf Cichlid, 10x cardinal tetras, 10x Seprea tetra

Back
Top Bottom