Need Goldfish Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Monster Goldfish said:
I know a trick to make flaoting food sink which is very easy and extremely effective on all types of floating food . It's done by taking air out using
a syringe just check it out on youtube.
Or you could just soak it first.

Monster Goldfish said:
what is pfs ? :ermm:
Pool Filter Sand

Woo hoo! I had a revelation while I was laying in bed last night and it has turned out pretty good. I took the 5g that Barney (Mom named the Goldie) was in and made it my RCS tank, then I took the 10g the RCS were in and divided it and put the Bettas from my 20g tall into it. Thus Barney now has a nice 20g tall (I know long would be better but I gotta go with what I got) and currently has an Aqua-Tech 10-20 (120gph), air stone, and some Java Moss.

I tried feeding him some cooked pea, but all he did was munch on it and spit it back out. Same thing if I tried mushing it a little bit. Now I am trying him out on some boiled squash. I don't know how I'm gonna have to train him for what he is supposed to eat. The original owners were feeding him tropical flake! :nono: I may have to try some DIY food. I'm hoping to grab some more plants for him while I'm out on Monday. I also may try putting another Aqua-Tech 5-15 (100gph) in to give him the utmost filtration.

Attachments

• Fantail.jpg
    Fantail.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 54
Thank you, Blert!! I will add danios on my next edit and I appreciate your input! Forgot about those guys (and I know you keep them!)! :)

In respect to goldfish excreting ammonia from their gills, this is actually true of ALL fw fish with a few exceptions such as fw stingrays or lungfish (which process ammonia to urea). Sw fish are a different story. My understanding from the articles I have read is that goldfish, because they lack a 'true' stomach to store food, immediately process anything they eat which equates to ammonia being produced on a constant basis. If they dont have sufficent protien, they utilize fat stores & muscle tissue. Ammonia is produced from the breakdown of amino acids that makeup protiens which is why you can feed lots of veggies without them affecting water quality (there isnt sufficient protien). But, if you compared the ammonia output over the course of a week of a large goldfish vs a similar sized oscar (or other large fish), you would likely find the 'average' ammonia production to be pretty much the same for everyone. Not sure if this answers your question or not! :)

Thats great, Aaron!!! Dont worry about him not eating veggies yet- he has likely never had them in his entire life (so far) and it may take a bit before he realizes they are good to eat! Try cooked broccoli florets (flower part) next- broccoli has a strong smell that fish find enticing and I have yet to have a fish refuse it once he/she tried it. Just have some patience & keep trying in the meantime! You can also try some fruits- they may work better as a stepping stone to veggies. He will need a bit of time to settle in and adjust as well- to go from a vase to a 20g is a bit of a change! :)

This looks a little better than it did yesterday. I'm just crossing my fingers the Hornwort and Cabomba don't die back, what a mess!

Attachments

• Goldie FTS.jpg
    Goldie FTS.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 66
he looks very happy. Good job. He also looks just like the calico fantail gold fish i got..minus the anchor worms I got for free!

Back
Top Bottom