need help/advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike l

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in need of some advice. I have a 110 extra high saltwater tank with live rock, one green wolf eel, 2 saltwater hermit crabs and thats it. Thats the problem. Couple of months ago my heater went out, took a couple days to get another one. Since then nothing I put in survives more than a couple of days. Before the heater went out I had a variety of fish in there (triggers, damsels, and puffers) Checked/tested my water and levels, all are good. Not sure whats going on. Even tried introducing large fish (bursa trigger and a green bird wrasse) to the tank just in case the eel was the issue (even though I have not seen him be aggressive). Same result. I am at a loss.

Welcome to the site!
If you didn't see any remains, I would point to the eel (seeing as you have a very small clean up crew). How are you acclimating your new fish?
What are your tests reading?
I like to run two heaters for backup.

the remains are always there and intact. as far as acclimation I have been doing the same I have always done. I take the bag withe fish, put it in the water let it set for awhile like that, then take a cup full of my tank water and add it to the bag and repeat for about 45mins to an hour. It has always worked for me. And they do live for a couple of days then die.

So I'm a little confused...

What happened to all the fish that were in there BEFORE the heater went out? Did they all die because of the temperature drop or increase?

And how did the heater go out? Just stop working? Stuck thermostat? Or did the glass break on you?

PS... Also, to better help ya, you might want to post the actual numbers you're getting for your water parameters, as well as what you're testing - not just "numbers OK." Often times, folks say their numbers are "OK" only to find out later that they think a pH of 7.2 is "OK", or 1.0ppm of ammonia is "OK". Not saying that's you... just saying getting all the info out there now might get us to a solution quicker!

all the fish from before I transferred to another smaller tank and they are doing fine. as far as the heater it just stopped working

as far as the numbers ...thanks good thought I'll test again tonight and post

thanks

When was last PWC done on the tank and how big was it?
I would start with a few 25% PWC over a week or two and add some new carbon a/o a poly filter to remove contaminants.

I would also QT any new fish for a month before transferring them to the display tank. Is there a reason you have not moved any of the tranferred fish back to the larger tank?

Oh, and.....
welcometoaa.gif

Back
Top Bottom