Need help! Betta is still sick!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureGirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Several days ago, I noticed my longfin female betta, Skeye, was acting lethargic, and both eyes were swollen and cloudy.

She has been in a 26 gal. tank with four other females, seven otos, and, seven ghost shrimp, and 3 amano shrimp. It has a heater, and I've had it as high as it will go (84° F) to combat a recent bout of ick. (I also dosed with salt during that time, but no meds because of ottos and shrimp).

But when I saw Skeye was sick and the sorority bettas were picking on her because she's weaker, I moved her to a cycled ten gallon tank with two berried ghost shrimp. In it I use a sponge filter meant for up to 20 gallons. There is no heater in this tank (the temperature is about 72°-75° F).

I'm still not sure what the underlying cause for her cloudy eyes are... I know most everyone instantly goes to "WATER QUALITY!!!", but I checked after I moved her, and it was pristine. None of my other bettas had this eye problem either. So, maybe she injured herself? But both her eyes are the exact same (cloudy and protruding). My only other ideas are either bacterial infection/viral infection or parasitic infection (no visible signs of parasites). Bacterial infection seemed most probable, so I've been dosing 1/2 dose of Melafix and Pimafix for two days now. I am aware of the controversy considering these two products and bettas, but I had read several articles disproving the ill effects. It was all I had on hand at the moment, so I thought it was better than nothing.

But my betta seems to be getting worse every day. Right now, she's resting listlessly on top of the sponge filter (the current isn't too strong, I already checked). She's still upright, which I think is good. But whenever she swims around, every few seconds she'll kind of "flash" or jerk around, almost like some unseen thing is irritating her. (I noticed this behavior before I medicated with Pimafix and Melafix) I don't think she's having trouble breathing, because she can access the surface of the water very easily but she doesn't swim up for air much. She is breathing slightly faster and harder than my healthy bettas. I'm so worried about her. The most frustrating thing is that I can't even figure out what's wrong so I can fix it. [emoji20]

Thanks for reading through my book of a post. I'd be very happy for anyone's suggestions, and I know Skeye will be too.

It sounds bacterial - after three days I'd give up on the pimafix or melafix (I find you either get a cheap win with it early on or it just doesn't make a difference). Also that a lighter dose is just as good as a full dose so I'd think the dosing was fine and better than over-dosing risk.

Naturegirl. Considering your particular situation, I believe you have done all you can. It hurts us all when we lose a prized fish, and believe me this sort of thing happens to advanced fishkeepers too. It's important now to concentrate on your display tank and make sure your other fish stay healthy. Things will work out.

Well, surprising update!

These last two to three days I've expected to wake up each morning to a dead betta being picked on by two berried ghost shrimp (awful image that I'll never get out of my head). That is to say, Skeye REALLY didn't seem to be doing well. She spent more of her time resting on the sponge filter. She ate whatever pellets I dropped RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER, but neglected almost all the food bits that strayed.

But today she's different. Her eyes have grown considerably less cloudy and swollen. She isn't rubbing against things or 'flashing' nearly as much as she did. She hasn't spent nearly as much time on her sponge. And she's actually swimming around slowly, foraging for food and chasing particles in the water! [emoji2] Her fins have been slowly healing, despite her less-than-optimal condition, and today there's actually a difference between her now and the pictures I took when she first got sick. All this goes to say, I think Skeye is getting better! [emoji4] I'm going to finish the 7-day course of the antibiotics since she's finally responding positively. After that, I might continue dosing depending on her condition.

Grand news! (imo just very light feeding as sounds off food still - no need to try to over-feed and perhaps foul water - as a thought).

Yes, definitely need to make sure she doesn't eat too much or that food doesn't just sit around, making the water nasty. I still haven't figured out the best feeding method/schedule for bettas, but I'm working on it. This is my first experience with bettas, so I'm still learning.

Back
Top Bottom