Need help cycling !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JulioC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone so a little problem I setup a 40 gallon breeder on 9/22/17 this includes a 6inch red ear slider turtle a 3 inch common pleco and 2 inch redtail shark now this is just a temporary setup for a few months till I get my 75 gallon and 125 gallon tanks now everyone is fine nobody's attacking or aggressive so anyways again new setup 40 gallon breeder running fluval fx6 with a mixture of bio-home ultimate an seachem matrix and a aquaclear110 with standard media came with it no chemical filtration I have Api freshwater test kit and seachem ammonia alert I use seachem stability and seachem prime to get things Rollin I test everyday and add products as instructed to I have done no water changes at all I'm 6 days in results at Ammonia .25 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 5-10 I have 2 days left for completion of instructions my reading don't seem to be changing any advice would help again not using chemical filtration or ever meditcated or water change only top off with declorinated water... Any help would be greatly appreciated.... Thank you in advance.. Side note I feed every other day i don't overfeed

To me, the fact that you see nitrates and no nitrites is a sign that you're headed in the right direction. It sounds like you have a small colony of BB starting but it is not big enough to handle all the ammonia created. At this point it is only a matter of time. Keep a close eye on your ammonia, don't let it get higher. Keep up with your water changes as to prevent ammonia from hurting your stock.

Things to check would be:

- do a water test on your tap water.

- what is your tank and tap water ph? Around ph of 6 the cycle can stall.

- wondering why no water changes have been done?

- are you seeing any change in readings at all?

Tap water is 7.6 and my tank is 8.4 ph. Tank water is also Ammonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. Tap water is Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0.

Nothing changed except not dosing stability completed 8 day dosage and only adding prime every other day as per instructions ....

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that is odd. I can’t think why ammonia or nitrates are not lifting. Unless either very lightly stocked or tests are not working right or there are plants.

Back
Top Bottom