Need help identifying a cory and a pleco.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BarleyBear

Aquarium Advice Activist
Cory needs some friends, but I want to make sure I get the same kind. I didn't know they needed to live in groups.

Cory.jpeg

The LFS guy said this pleco would stay small, but if anyone can identify him and tell me if that's true, I'd love to know. This pic is fuzzy because I had to magnify it from a larger pic. If I can get a clearer one, I will, but this is the only one I have right now. Pleco pretty much stays hidden when the lights are on. He's brown with tan markings, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any bristles on his nose.

Pleco.jpeg

Julii Cory, definately needs some friends!

Yep, Waterworld. That's where I've gotten most of my livestock and plants. I really like those guys.

I went to Petco the other day for the first time, too. I wasn't very impressed, either.

Any other good places in town or in the area that you know of for fish and plants?

I browse Petsmart and Petland, but I usually just get food and supplies there.

Not really, there's a place on blue angel parkway that is small but had a decent plant tank last time I went, but otherwise that was about it. I get 95%+ of my non-wild stuff from online purchases.

Not really, there's a place on blue angel parkway that is small but had a decent plant tank last time I went, but otherwise that was about it. I get 95%+ of my non-wild stuff from online purchases.

I'll have to check it out if I need to get some more plants.

Thanks for your help identifying the cory and the pleco. My Julii can now get some tank mates.

I Googled the plecos mentioned, and none of those look like mine. However, in doing that search, I did come across the "Clown Pleco" or Panaque maccus L104, and it looks exactly like mine. They grow up to 4 inches, which is consistent with what the LFS guy told me. And the feeding and habits sound right on.

Here's a pic of a clown pleco (not mine, but it does look just like him).

Clown Pleco.jpg

Hi. The plec is def a clown plec. We used to have one. Really cool fish and yes they only get to about 3-4 inches. Hope you enjoy him. The Corey I think is a peppered Corey.

I'm sorry but you are all wrong. Corydoras julii is one of the most misidentified Cories around !! There are several look alike Cories.
C. julii (true Julii Cory)
C. trilineatus ( 3 Lined ..aka False Julii, Leopard Cory)
C. leopardus (true Leopard Cory ... Longer face than others )

What you have is a C. trilineatus
http://www.scotcat.com/factsheets/c_trilineatus.htm

See the side by side pics. The true julii has spots on the face, NOT a reticulated pattern like yours. The good news is that trilineatus are easier to find at least in my area :)

So you have a 3 Lined Cory. Though the stores often mislabel them. Bring pics with you :)

The pleco is a clown pleco.

The cory is not a peppered, in my opinion, but is a 3-lined. I've had these, they're really sweet.

One out of 2 ain't bad lol. Was in the lfs today and they had some Corey's that were labeled as peppered Corey's thought they looked like yours.
Have never owned any but they are nice fish.

Cool thanks for that, i will keep that in mind if i ever buy any.

That's why I'm here, to learn as much as I can and share with others what I know.
This forum is great for educating yourself on our favourite topic.

False Julii definitely. True Julii's are hard to come buy and they aren't cheap.

Definitely a clown pleco and false Julii Cory.

Common names are great, but mislabeling/misidentification is a big problem that can lead to confusion. I bought some peppered corys sold under the name spotted corys just yesterday. Peppered cories look absolutely nothing like spotted corys, but they do have spots I guess lol

Back
Top Bottom