Need help on growing plants!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You can add some basic ferts. I add API Leaf Zone and Flourish Comprehensive 1x weekly.
For really fast growth you can add Flourish Excel (Carbon source).

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there anything else i can do other than adding ferts? I would like to grow them natural with just fish waste

My Anacharis died in my tropical tanks 78f. Seems to do best in Coldwater tanks. But it may do fine for you.

Hornwort is easy.
Weekly PWCs
Lights on a timer for 6-8 hours
Some basic ferts after your water changes

Plants need to adjust to new conditions.

My Anacharis died in my tropical tanks 78f. Seems to do best in Coldwater tanks. But it may do fine for you.

Hornwort is easy.
Weekly PWCs
Lights on a timer for 6-8 hours
Some basic ferts after your water changes

Plants need to adjust to new conditions.

Hmmm my anacharis are doing fine and my tank temp is at 24C but i dont know if they are growing anymore :S

I just did a water change yesterday so we will see what happens. Most of mine got eat in my main tank now only have 2 or 3 small pieces left which i was hoping to turn into a bigger plant...
I keep my lights on for about 12 hours or a bit less does that affect hornworts?
Is there anything i can do other than adding ferts?
Also any ideas on my light?

Also if i wanted to make my own ferts at home what would i need to do and what would i need to make it?

This was my 10g with 20 watts total 6,500K mini CFLs and ferts 1x weekly
Yes, it was very overstocked. I do NOT recommend this many fish. It worked for me as it was Heavily planted.
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

I belong to an aquatic plant club.
I've grown some stunted scraggly plants in gravel with no ferts.

I prefer my sand tanks with easy ferts [emoji106]

This was my 10g with 20 watts total 6,500K mini CFLs and ferts 1x weekly
Yes, it was very overstocked. I do NOT recommend this many fish. It worked for me as it was Heavily planted.
http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

I belong to an aquatic plant club.
I've grown some stunted scraggly plants in gravel with no ferts.

I prefer my sand tanks with easy ferts [emoji106]

Oh ok well currently i have about 8 molly fry in the tank with plants in there and they seem to be kinda growing.
But im planning on putting around 15 cherry shrimps and taking the frys out will that work? Would that be enough to fertilise my plants?

I currently have sand in my tank. but your saying putting gravel can help the plant grow?

Def take Mollies out b4 adding shrimp.

Add more sand, not gravel.

And I think your plants MIGHT live without ferts, but I think ferts will help them grow and thrive.

Ferts are natural. They won't harm shrimp.

You can make your own Root Tabs. Plenty of vids on YouTube just READ labels so you buy the right one and take out any wetting agents.

I buy DIY 50 tabs for under $10 from Hobbyists. AA has some sellers. I usually buy from The Planted Tank , it's free to join.

You only add root tabs every 2-4 months.

Buying and mixing dry ferts IS cheaper. I'm too lazy. Since my tanks are all under 10g, liquid ferts last a long time, so I just buy mine.

Dry Ferts you'll have to study up. There are lots of threads about Ferts on AA.

Read up !
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/articles-to-help-with-the-planted-tank-83826.html

A good site is
Aquarium Fertilizers.
http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com

Def take Mollies out b4 adding shrimp.

Add more sand, not gravel.

And I think your plants MIGHT live without ferts, but I think ferts will help them grow and thrive.

Ferts are natural. They won't harm shrimp.

You can make your own Root Tabs. Plenty of vids on YouTube just READ labels so you buy the right one and take out any wetting agents.

I buy DIY 50 tabs for under $10 from Hobbyists. AA has some sellers. I usually buy from The Planted Tank , it's free to join.

You only add root tabs every 2-4 months.

Buying and mixing dry ferts IS cheaper. I'm too lazy. Since my tanks are all under 10g, liquid ferts last a long time, so I just buy mine.

Dry Ferts you'll have to study up. There are lots of threads about Ferts on AA.

Read up !
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/articles-to-help-with-the-planted-tank-83826.html

A good site is
Aquarium Fertilizers.
Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home

Why do you think the molly fry will eat the shrimps?

I have already got around about 2 inchs of sand in my tank currently do you think i should add more?

Also if i decide to use ferts what can i use that will not harm the shrimps and is good for the plants and will last long enough?

I dont know whether i need liquid fert or root tabs :S

Why do you think the molly fry will eat the shrimps?

I have already got around about 2 inchs of sand in my tank currently do you think i should add more?

Also if i decide to use ferts what can i use that will not harm the shrimps and is good for the plants and will last long enough?

I dont know whether i need liquid fert or root tabs :S

Mollies pic at everything. You don't hand dense enough plants for Shrimp to hide in.

2" is plenty.

None of the ferts will harm Shrimp unless you overdose.

You have a Sword, you need Root Tabs.
You have stem plants, you need ferts in the water for them.

Crypts and Swords are heavy root feeders. As we all told you.

Stem plants get most ferts from water. So liquid ferts are easy way to start.

Read the articles please

Mollies pic at everything. You don't hand dense enough plants for Shrimp to hide in.

2" is plenty.

None of the ferts will harm Shrimp unless you overdose.

You have a Sword, you need Root Tabs.
You have stem plants, you need ferts in the water for them.

Crypts and Swords are heavy root feeders. As we all told you.

Stem plants get most ferts from water. So liquid ferts are easy way to start.

Read the articles please

Ok thanks for that ill take on board your advice

i need help i dont know if my anachrais are dying and whether they are growing or not.
i've have uploaded some pictures could you guys let me know whether they are and what i can do...

Attachments

• IMG_6563.jpg
    IMG_6563.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_6565.jpg
    IMG_6565.jpg
    220.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_6567.jpg
    IMG_6567.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 59
Plants need to adjust to new conditions. If you want faster growth you can add ferts and Excel.

But don't leave lights on for more than 8 hours. More light just grows Algae.

Plants need to adjust to new conditions. If you want faster growth you can add ferts and Excel.

But don't leave lights on for more than 8 hours. More light just grows Algae.

But the thing is the conditions arent new they have been in this tank for a while now probably about 3 4 months now maybe more???

At the moment i do leave the lights on a bit currently have no algae... but is that what is affecting my plants?

can anyone help me??
Get me up to date over the last 8 pages, I see you have added more substrate. What size tank is it, what light are you using, how long is it on and do you use any ferts? Is ur substrate just sand?

I would get root tabs, flourish, and flourish excel/glut/metricide, it shouldn't cost that much in that small of a tank. Ur plants look fairly green and healthy, all my plants turn brown and melt all over and then grow new green leaves.

Get me up to date over the last 8 pages, I see you have added more substrate. What size tank is it, what light are you using, how long is it on and do you use any ferts? Is ur substrate just sand?

I would get root tabs, flourish, and flourish excel/glut/metricide, it shouldn't cost that much in that small of a tank. Ur plants look fairly green and healthy, all my plants turn brown and melt all over and then grow new green leaves.

Yes i have now go 2 inchs of sand in my tank.
Tanks size is 5 gallons or 20 litres
The light is called aqua lux its 13w i think and 7200k
I have now cut down my light hours to about 8 to 9 hours and no i dont use any ferts
Yep just sand was planning on putting some gravel in but i was told that plants dont grow very well with gravel

yeah look green but i see some leaves losing its colour now esp on my anacharis plants but my hornwort plants dont seem to be growing at all....

Sand and gravel differ mainly in the particle size. Both are pretty inert. If you want serious plant growth, using a plant specific substrate works better. Flourite, for example or Eco complete. Adding gravel to sand just results in sand on the bottom, as it sifts through the bigger particles.

I have a planted, mostly shrimp, 10G tank with Moonsand in it. Totally inert, but using ferts & Excel, everything in it grows like mad. Only thing not doing great is the crypt, because it does need root tabs, which I must get for it.

From the pics, at least some of your anacharis looks like it is putting on some healthy new growth, with larger leaves, so that's a good thing. I don't have the best luck with it here, because the rooms have become too warm. So the tanks have become too warm and the plant likes it cool. I need to start the fans running again.

I have a tank being cared for by a pal, in a much colder home, and anacharis in that one is doing fine. It gets only daylight from a window and whatever the fish contribute. Mostly it's floating, though the substrate is Eco Complete. Just didn't bother to plant it when I moved the tank over there. Because of the low light and no ferts, it doesn't really grow that much, but all of it is very lush and thick.

That tank is running at around 72 most of the time, sometimes slightly under 70, if my pal forgets to close the patio door. He tries his best, he's not a fish guy, but has kept the fish alive for most of this year for me, so I can't complain ! The fish are cooler water species and are managing, though I will be glad to get them home, if the landlord ever finishes the repairs that need doing.

If you can give yours some cooler temps and some ferts, I think your plants will improve.

I have one stem of it in one of my warmer tanks here. I use Excel and Flourish liquid ferts, and it was planted in the Moonsand. It grew about six inches in about six weeks. But it's not nearly as thick and lush looking as the stuff in the colder tank is. Nice 'n green, just thinner than it should be. I think that's the warm water. The lighting is nuts, I keep them on much longer than normal, quite purposefully, to grow algae for my Otos.

In tanks, plants do not have the resources available that they would have wherever they grow natively. So we have to provide some extras. Carbon for one, [ the Excel helps with that], because the only carbon in water is the CO2, which is very quickly depleted. And in habitat, food and light is usually pretty close to the ideal for the plant, or it wouldn't grow there. So expecting to get lush growth in a tank, without using some extras, is not very likely to be successful.

Sand and gravel differ mainly in the particle size. Both are pretty inert. If you want serious plant growth, using a plant specific substrate works better. Flourite, for example or Eco complete. Adding gravel to sand just results in sand on the bottom, as it sifts through the bigger particles.

I have a planted, mostly shrimp, 10G tank with Moonsand in it. Totally inert, but using ferts & Excel, everything in it grows like mad. Only thing not doing great is the crypt, because it does need root tabs, which I must get for it.

From the pics, at least some of your anacharis looks like it is putting on some healthy new growth, with larger leaves, so that's a good thing. I don't have the best luck with it here, because the rooms have become too warm. So the tanks have become too warm and the plant likes it cool. I need to start the fans running again.

I have a tank being cared for by a pal, in a much colder home, and anacharis in that one is doing fine. It gets only daylight from a window and whatever the fish contribute. Mostly it's floating, though the substrate is Eco Complete. Just didn't bother to plant it when I moved the tank over there. Because of the low light and no ferts, it doesn't really grow that much, but all of it is very lush and thick.

That tank is running at around 72 most of the time, sometimes slightly under 70, if my pal forgets to close the patio door. He tries his best, he's not a fish guy, but has kept the fish alive for most of this year for me, so I can't complain ! The fish are cooler water species and are managing, though I will be glad to get them home, if the landlord ever finishes the repairs that need doing.

If you can give yours some cooler temps and some ferts, I think your plants will improve.

I have one stem of it in one of my warmer tanks here. I use Excel and Flourish liquid ferts, and it was planted in the Moonsand. It grew about six inches in about six weeks. But it's not nearly as thick and lush looking as the stuff in the colder tank is. Nice 'n green, just thinner than it should be. I think that's the warm water. The lighting is nuts, I keep them on much longer than normal, quite purposefully, to grow algae for my Otos.

In tanks, plants do not have the resources available that they would have wherever they grow natively. So we have to provide some extras. Carbon for one, [ the Excel helps with that], because the only carbon in water is the CO2, which is very quickly depleted. And in habitat, food and light is usually pretty close to the ideal for the plant, or it wouldn't grow there. So expecting to get lush growth in a tank, without using some extras, is not very likely to be successful.

Hi thanks for that but right now I'm concerned about my hornwort plants because my anachairs seem to be growing fine right now but my hornwort just aren't growing....I don't know what's going on or what I'm doing wrong.
They just seem to be sitting there.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom