need help picking an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I'm in college right now and I don't have the room or money to invest in a large reef tank. I have saltwater and reef experience and have decided to move into the realm of the nano-reef. As of right now, I'm not sure which kind of aquarium to get. I don't want to merely get a 10 gallon tank and turn it into a nano-reef. I'd like to get one of the all-in-one type tanks like JBJ's Nano Cube 12 G DX or something similar. However, I don't know the pros and cons of the different types of tanks in terms of quality, tuning and modding capability, suitability, etc. I have been leaning towards the JBJ Nano Cube 12g DX but haven't been able to find any depth of information regarding it. Are there any better setups that I should look into? I would really like glass because I'm confident that I would end up scratching an acrylic tank beyond repair. As far as wattage and skimming goes, is the surface skimmer and the 48 watt lights sufficient?

As far as keeping a 10-15 gallon nano-reef, what are the differences with lets say keeping a 30+ gallon tank? What rules apply with stocking it? Water changes? Filtration and light requirements? Water sensitivity? Additives?

I plan on getting the equipment towards the end of this week if my research turns out to be conclusive enough to give me the confidence to do so. As far as purchasing something in the 10-15 gallon range goes, could I put it on the average desk without worrying about the weight?

Well, basically, any and all information, whether or not I asked the appropriate question, will be appreciated. And as we all know, being an aquatic, especially saltwater, enthusiast makes you prone to impulse buys and as much as I'd like to think that will never happen again, they have and they will, so I'd like this to minimize the damage as much as possible.

Thanks in advance,

Saltz

Well, the smaller the tank the more demanding it is going to be. Space limited can restrict what you can do, however there are a lot of options out there. The nano cubes are pretty cool I don't know a lot about them but I have seen some awesome setups in them! I personally have a 5g nano, but that is only because I already have a 72g bowfront reef that is established and I use it to filter the 5g nano. My opinion is to go with a 29g and have it set up so you can have a sump under it to add to your water volume. Have a look at this http://www.melevsreef.com/29g.html . I think it will give you a good idea of what you can do with a 29g tank and not take up a lot of space. HTH

I had thought about getting a biocube. They look nice and everything's in it already (except a skimmer). You said that $ is an issue. They are not cheap, and if anything breaks down, you have to get parts designed for the nanocube that run pretty pricey in comparison.
After researching numerous possibilities, I went with a 20 gal high, and bought all the individual pieces. The only thing I regret, is not getting the 29. I bought a 5 gal hex with built in parts, and because of that experience, I will probably always go with the build your own set-up. I like being able to pick and choose my filtration, light wattage etc....
The other issues seem to be weight and space. Are you in a dorm? I don't think a desk is the best option for anything over 8-10 gal. Especially SW, because I'm assuming you're going to be sticking LR in there, plus sand, plus water weight. With a 10 gal tank, you're looking at about 150 lbs. Depending on what kind of desk it is (wood, plastic, filler board), it could end up in disaster. If it's one of the older desks that are made pretty sturdy, I would suggest spreading the weight out as much as you can. Maybe a 15gal or a 20 long would work, that is, if the desk is built extrememly sturdy out of solid wood.
That's my input. HTH :)

The last tank I had was a 20g and while I know it's considered a nano by many, I'm looking for something in the under 10-15 gallon range. because my space is very limited. I could just take my 20g setup with me but it will be too much of a hassle. I'm well aware of the sensitivity of small tanks and learned a lot through the "oops" process. Thanks for the help though.

Anyone else have any info on the nano cubes or similar setups?

I have a JBJ 12gal nano deluxe and am very happy with it. It does a fine job as an "all-in-one" unit...with some modification. Ditch the sponges, bioballs and ceramic rings that come with the unit and fill the chambers up with LR rubble. It is a much better filter media. On mine, I have the first filter chamber filled half with LR rubble, then a bag o chemi-pur and some PURA filtration pads. The middle is filled up to the top with LR rubble, the last is filled with LR rubble, a heater and the return pump. You may also consider adding a second small powerhead into the tank for better flow.

Attachments

• uploadable_pics_002_793.jpg
    uploadable_pics_002_793.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_194.jpg
    12gal_nano_reef__06-05-05_585x438_194.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 62
What about skimming? Does the LR rubble and the other filtration media you mentioned take care of that?

Thanks for the help.

There is no substitute for good skimming. The new JBJs do come with a "surface skimmer" that helps with surface scum, but it does not remove the DOC that a true skimmer does. The filter media like LR rubble will not help in that regard either. In a small tank, frequent and regular water changes are your best bet.

hey dude- i had a 10 gallon hex tank set up. put a canister filter on there with some live rock and sand. had a tongue coral as a show piece and a few shrooms on the 10 pounds of rock. nice set up for space saving- downside was i had over 4wpg and it still had over 12" before the light finally filtered down to the coral- i didnt dare stack the rocks cause of weight issues, even though the corals would probably have loved it. all in all- most expensive issue was water- distilled stuff started to irk me after a few months with 5-10 bucks sunk into em. id get a 10 gallon standard tank myself. got more options that way with lights and circulation. hth

Hey, I am up at college also right now and for the next few years. I am out of the dorms, and have built my own (very strong) desk that would hold a talk rather well. I am set on getting a 5gal and having all custom filters and pumps and hopefully a nano skimmer....I am just not liking the pre designed cubes, and I am much more of a do-it-yourself kinda guy, so yah. Let me know what you end up doing regarding the size of the tank because I keep hearing EVERYONE say that smaller tanks are harder and this would be my first one...kinda (I am helping a buddy set up at 55g). I do not have the funds for anything more than a 10 gallon, but I want a 5 so that if I do mess up a bit or something happens, I have the funds to fix it. Anyways, good luck :p

Back
Top Bottom