Need Help Stocking My Tank’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kraabi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10 gallon tank with a male Platy and horned snail in it. Well today I decided I wanted to get more fish for my tank. I went to my local Petsmart and asked for advice. They told me it’d be okay to have all male Platies in my tank so I don’t have frys right now. So I asked the lady to get me two male platies. I brought them home and put them in the tank. About two hours later I noticed my oldest Platy chasing one of the new ones. He would chase him around the tank and corner him. The new Platy was definitely afraid. I called Petsmart and they said to switch around the decoration. I asked why my old Platy was only chasing the one and not the other. Well it turns out they gave me one male and one female. So my tank is now 2 males and one female. I know this is not good! What would your suggestions be? I don’t mind getting fry, my petco takes them. But would you recommend me taking both New fish back and trying to get two female from the same tank or keep the one female and add another? I’m lost at what to do because petco then told me that all male Platies together is not a good idea. I have the one that was getting bullied in a quarantine tank so he won’t die from stress.

So all males are okay? My old male platy seems to want to be dominant. Should I just go with other fish that platies if he does this?

Really it depends on the specific temperament of the fish you have. Could you have an a-hole fish out of the bunch.....sure. But generally speaking it should work. Tank size, plants, decor all play a certain role in behavior. The latter two giving cover.

You could go with different fish if he becomes down right unmanageable.

I definitely have to take one or both new fish back. My old fish is going to kill them from chasing them. He’s not happy with the male at all.

You said you had a female in with two males?? Your dominant male could be going after the other male for that reason. In theory, all males would spread out the aggression. Try to keep even numbers. If you aren't diggin the male aggression thing then go all female or 1 male and 3 female's if you don't mind fry.

Back
Top Bottom