need help with barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Quest84

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hey everyone, I unfortunately lost one of my black ruby barbs last night:nono: and today i noticed that one of the other ruby's looks like his scales are peeling a little bit, no idea what this is. He also just stays hiding in a floating log that I have in the tank, while the other ruby is swimming all around the tank. I don't think it's Ich because none of the other fish have it. Is it possible for only 1 fish in the tank to have Ich? I really like these fish and don't want to lose any more, plus they are kinda expensive here.

other ruby died last night:( not sure whats going on, should i be treating the rest of my tank with some kind of medication before the rest of my fish die?

I can't help you, but you may get more replies if you posted a picture of what is going on. I hope you get this sorted out quickly!

Have you tested the water as you may have some harmful toxic things in.

Do you own a Api Master Test Kit?
If not I suggest you go and buy one to see what is going on.

They are usually about £25 pounds? Thats how much they are at the LFS

:)

Do you keep up with regular water changes and do them all the time or do you slack on them as thet is what could be causing this!

Hopefully I have helped..!

Thanks
Aston.

Sorry to hear that :(

I agree about testing your water. If you can't buy a test kit, your LFS should be able to do it. Although saying that most seem to use the strips which are not so accurate. If you do buy a test kit defiantly get a liquid tets kit.

Is your tank cycled?

Without knowing what is causing it, it is hard to medicate it.

thanks guys, I did a fishless cycle a few months ago and the tank is fully cycled. I do have the API master test kit, and I do 50% water changes once a week. I use Prime as my water conditioner.

just checked the water parameters 0 ammonia, but it is showing signs of nitrite and nitrate :facepalm: Maybe I added too many fish too soon. Would high nitrite lead to the flaking or peeling of scales? Also, this is only happening to my Ruby Barbs...not the tiger barbs, tinfoils or shark

Pictures by Quest84 - Photobucket
best pics i could get of my ruby that was sick

Going to do a 50% WC right now

Back
Top Bottom