Need help with evil cichlid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spurdy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Let me start by saying I know the tank is too small. If you guys can help me with my fish issue, there will be a bigger tank very soon.

That being said, about 2 yes ago I purchased a 10 gl starter tank and uneducatedly purchased 4 very small cichlids that were all labelled as assorted cichlids. Within two weeks the fish in the picture began to eat the other fish. Without another tank to move them to, all three fish were killed and literally eaten by the orange one. They were all the same size so I thought it must have been an overcrowding issue or they were all males or something. After awhile I tried a new fish, also "assorted" of the same size. He was killed and eaten. So I gave up and just put in a pleco that was larger hoping he would make it. He too was literally eaten. We have tried at least 7 different fish and all off them have been not just fins eaten, but whole body mangled and missing.

My questions are these...
1. What kind of fish is it?
2. Male or female...thinking male
3. If I get a larger tank will he continue to use his tank mates as lunch or could I add another fish?

Am attaching a not so good photo and as soon as I figure out how will post a recent vid of him and his latest kill. My husband purchased the blue one without my knowledge as it has become a sort of challenge to find a fish that our Lucifer can't kill. I have no desire to put anymore fish to death in our tank but don't want to give up on this fish. Please help.

Here's the link to the video... http://gallery.me.com/geekgirl/100066/Fish

Attachments

• image-1466351019.jpg
    image-1466351019.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 235
1. Looks like a Red Zebra
2. I think your guess is more than likely right.
3. With a bigger tank such as a 55 gallon or larger and the right tank mates, this fish should become less aggressive.

Great. Thanks. Can you give me an idea of some good tank mates? I plan to get a 55 to transfer him to and would like to add more cichlids....preferably females. But just learning about all of this so don't know much.

Thanks again.

Best to have a 1m to 4 fm ratio, as far as fish go you wanna stay with Cichlids from Lake Malawi. Some good looking fish are Yellow Labs, Acei, Afra Cobue,Gershakei (hope thats spelled right), Auratus, Bumblebees, Kennyi. The list could go on and on.

I would do a minimum of 55g. With African cichlids, you need plenty of rockwork. Plants are not a common thing where they're from. Also, plenty of filtration is need along with overcrowding the tank. Overcrowding helps to reduce the natural aggression of these fish. Also, I wouldn't recommend putting in two of the same kind of fish unless it's male/female. Finally as far as tank mates go, stick to the assorted cichlids as they're all from the same lake and other malawi cichlids are a little harder to come by if you're shopping at petsmart of petco

I would only choose 3 speices for a 55 gallon with a ratio of 1m to 5 females. All mouthbrooders with breed with any other mouthbrooder so depending on selections there may be some hybrids because with that ratio you'll have plenty of fry. I currently have 7 females holding in my African tank and 2 20gal long tanks packed with fry. They are plenty of tankmates to choose from but I would advise to stay away from Acei( to large ) and Demasoni (to aggressive under light stocking).

Thanks for the great help. We have great lfs here so I can avoid petco and such as I have never had much success with their stock.

I have a friend that builds custom tanks so I am hoping to get a good deal from him and might even be able to go to a 79 gl if the price is right.

It's good to know about the plants. I know they will eat or dig up live plants but didn't know about plants not really being native.

One more question, does dig mean anything with these fish? He will go through periods of digging anything and everything and completely rearrange the tank and then will go weeks without moving anything.

A 55 gal is ok, but i would like to suggest that you go for the 75 gal size.The length is the same, but the extra 5in of depth will greatly increase your chances success with African Cichlids.

If you go with Kenyi's try to get them a little older so you can be sure of the sex. Juveniles of both sexes are both a cobalt blue with deep blue stripes, but as they age the males will turn yellow. It's actually cool to watch them go through the turning stage, because they change back and forth between the blue and yellow until they are fully mature. I wouldn't trade my Kenyi's or Peacocks for anything in the world. They truely are some of the prettiest and smartest (read: Great Beggars) fish I have ever owned!!

Male Kenyi (not quite fully matured. Notice the fash still picks up some blue in him)
img_1206381_0_46ba59f8da291dd4859b5a85b0e103bd.jpg

Female Kenyi (same age as the male):
img_1206381_1_4fbc4a1a9172d0211ac552dce375b096.jpg

I will second and third the advice for the largest tank you can get! You will need rock work and lots of it--it helps to put down egg crate, then rock work, then gravel, then fill the tank. This way, as the Mbuna rearrange everything, the likelihood of rock work shifting is decreased dramatically.
As far as stocking, I would stay away from Auratus (too aggressive) and yellow labs tend to be not aggressive enough. Overstocking is a good idea--read up on it to understand!

Thanks for the great help. We have great lfs here so I can avoid petco and such as I have never had much success with their stock.

I have a friend that builds custom tanks so I am hoping to get a good deal from him and might even be able to go to a 79 gl if the price is right.

It's good to know about the plants. I know they will eat or dig up live plants but didn't know about plants not really being native.

One more question, does dig mean anything with these fish? He will go through periods of digging anything and everything and completely rearrange the tank and then will go weeks without moving anything.
Hi Spurdy,
My Lake Malawi Cichlids may not have plants in their natural habitat. But they aren't in their natural habitat, their in a tank.
Yes, they do need lots and I do mean a lot of cave like places to hide. But mine really like having all the fake plants hiding the entrances to each of their caves. Plus, Cichlids like an occasional bit of algae to eat off of the plant leaves.
I have both plastic and silk, but most are plastic with a weighted bottom. Since we know how much Cichlids like to dig, I don't think real plants would fair well.
So if you want some color in your tank, especially the custom wall tank, go for it. Just make sure that the plants covering a multitude of caves and it will work out fine.
In this pic. there are 2 caves behind my Kenyi Cichlid. One you can see and the other is underneath the terrace. I have 10 cave type places, all surrounded by both green and colorful plants.
Plus, they all seem to like having the plants to swim around and through. They actually play around the plants all the time.

So while waiting for the funds for the big tank, a friend gave me a 30 gl she no longer used. I have been cycling it for 2wks using substrate, water, some decor from the smaller existing tank. The levels are almost right...nitrates are still around 40 ppm but everything else is at 0. Getting another heater this weekend and running a filter rated for a 50 gl tank. Added some rocks today. It's looking pretty good and I am itching to move my poor Lucifer, who I now know is a red zebra (thx guys), to his new home. Don't want to get over zealous, but we have been a one fish family for so long that I am hoping you guys think it would be ok to pick up a couple females to keep him company in the 30. Thoughts?

Pics are of the new tank before and after the rocks were added. Water clouded some but is already clearing. Last one is of my guy in his gave hidey hole

Attachments

• image-551154307.jpg
    image-551154307.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 163
  • image-3209803917.jpg
    image-3209803917.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 168
  • image-1840959327.jpg
    image-1840959327.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 171
  • image-3210396138.jpg
    image-3210396138.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 169
Cichlids are pretty hardy and one way to make this process quicker is take water from your old tank and put it into your new one along with filter. I personally after doing that as long as temperature is right would move my fish in. I've never lost a fish using that process and have moved my cichlid community tank 3 times in past 2 years.

Yeah did a 50% pwc on the old tank and put the water in the new one. Can't move the media from the old filter to the new one cause they are diff sizes and still need filter on old tank. But all the levels on the new one a roughly the same on both tanks. Nitrates on old tank are a bit lower but stable where they usually are. Thanks for the advice.

Ok so the 30 gl now has six juvenile (hopefully) females in it. 3 red zebra and 3 Kenyi. Am pretty sure the reds are female and 2 of the Kenyi are still a dark cobalt blue. One of them might be turning colors so we will have to keep and eye out. They are all about an inch so won't add the original to them till they mature.

Got word today that my brother in law is being deployed again and will be giving me his 55 long since he won't be able to use it. So the plan is to use it for the adults, the ten as a nursery and the 30 for the juveniles--god willing. :)

Will post pics in a few if I can get some good ones. They are all loving their caves at the moment.

So here are the girls. The last two shots are of the one that appears to be turning to more yellow. It def has some yellow near the top fin but the rest is very pale blue almost white. The other two are as dark as the one picture shows.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• image-1509599883.jpg
    image-1509599883.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 136
  • image-3038797651.jpg
    image-3038797651.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 133
  • image-2974956022.jpg
    image-2974956022.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1169859964.jpg
    image-1169859964.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 133
  • image-269499877.jpg
    image-269499877.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 132
  • image-967543959.jpg
    image-967543959.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 112
OK so the 30 gl now has six juvenile (hopefully) females in it. 3 red zebra and 3 Kenyi. Am pretty sure the reds are female and 2 of the Kenyi are still a dark cobalt blue. One of them might be turning colors so we will have to keep and eye out. They are all about an inch so won't add the original to them till they mature.

Got word today that my brother in law is being deployed again and will be giving me his 55 long since he won't be able to use it. So the plan is to use it for the adults, the ten as a nursery and the 30 for the juveniles--god willing. :)

Will post pics in a few if I can get some good ones. They are all loving their caves at the moment.
Do any of your Red Zebras have the dots on their anal fin? Dot's that look like the dots on the anal fin of your evil Cichlid? They can be difficult to see on young smaller Cichlids. If you can't see any now, keep a close watch they may still show up
The Picture is of a male Red Zebra. And although they are beautiful and active, they are the most aggressive of the Malawi Cichlids.
I have a perfectly beautiful Male Red Zebra. I just love watching him, but he's attacked and killed 4 female Cichlids. And I may have to return him to the FS where I got him. I'd rather do that than pass a problem fish onto someone else.
If any of your Reds have the dots on their anal fins they are boys and they will most likely be as aggressive as your evil Cichlid.
Good luck.
Send my best to your brother in-law. I have a niece over seas, it's not easy.

Thanks Wendi. I studied all the reds in the tank at the lfs to make as sure as possible to get females. I know there is no way to be sure w/o venting but none have egg spots and two def have rounded anal fins. The brighter orange one does look like a male but he has no spots and his fin is more rounded than my original.

My best to your loved one as well. Unfortunately, my brother in law is a navy seal so deployment is a fairly regular thing for us. You never want to, but you do get used to it after awhile.

Females have egg spots as well, and some males dont have n. I've had plenty of fish I thought were males carrying eggs later. Venting is the only way to sure, but takes some practice so be careful.

Back
Top Bottom