Need help with filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chtzone

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. Just wanted to ask i have planted 16 gallon tank with 12 neon tetras in it. Im thinking to upgrade my fluval u2 internal with canister filter. Was looking at eheim 2213. But not sure if it want be an overkill. I thing tetras dont like big flow rate, or am i wrong? Any suggestions? Thank you.

The Eheim 2213 probably is overkill for a 16 gallon tank, but not in terms of the flow it will create. Although 116 GPH sounds like a lot, it really doesn't create all that much current when it's coming out of a spray bar. However, I'm not sure the spray bar or suction tube will fit in your tank without cutting them shorter. That really isn't very complicated, but might be a consideration.

In my 29 gallon, I use a 2213 in conjunction with a Fluval U3 with very good effect. My Neons and Cherry Barbs have no issues with the current.

I dont mind to cut a spray bar. Just was woried of a flow rate. Can you regulate it somehow on 2213. Or should i consider other brands, models? 2211 is smaller but need to send it from somwhere 2213 is avilable localy. I just want to get rid of the filter in my tank. And will go with inline heater as weell. As you said 16 gallon isnt big tank would be nice to get rid of the clutter inside:)

I have one, so I'm probably somewhat biased, but I'd say the 2213 is a good choice. The flow rate wouldn't concern me, so I'd suggest sticking with the 2213 versus the 2211, particularly as they're fairly comparable in cost (from what I've seen). Plus, it's always better to have more filtration than you need than to spend money twice.

As to reducing the flow, yes you can do a number of things. The valves on the quick connect can be used to restrict the flow, you can drill the holes in the spray bar slightly larger, you can plumb things (like heaters or CO2 reactors) into the line, etc. Try it without anything and see what you think. You may decide to reduce the flow, but I don't think you'll really need to.

Back
Top Bottom