Need help with fish deaths >>>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Corey

Aquarium Advice Activist
I brought home 4 new fish yesterday, all from the same fish store: 3 corys and a baby clown pleco. Two of the cories were one variety and from the same tank, the other cory was a different variety and from another tank, and the pleco is from another tank. The two cories of the same variety did not make it. They both died last night, the first within several hours, the other within 7 or 8.
One of them, while in the bag, was laying sideways but breathing. He would sporadically do "barrel rolls" within the bag over and over again, as if he was trying to orient himself. He almost appeared dizzy. While in the tank, he would be generally upright on the bottom, but would fall over to his side occasionally. The other did the same.
I noticed small red (blood?) areas on both fish after they had died, but did notice it while they were alive. One appears to have a missing tail. I have their bodies in a freezer.

I am not terribly upset about the fish, because I think its obvious that they were sick from the tank at the store, as the pleco and other cory are doing fantastic. But, I would like to have an idea what killed them, because I do not want it to spread. The missing tail has me very worried, because I feel that the tail could have been eaten by my Rams, who are my favorite fish.

Any ideas? Can I do anything to ensure it doesn't spread?
I'm quarantining from now on... 8O
Thanks!

umm if that all happened. i would return the fish and get your money back. screw them because sometimes they think oh they wont return them Cause who wants to take a dead fish in and a cup of water?
i would reccomend you test your water.. for ph, temp, nitrates and nitrites and annomina.
just to make sure its not from your tank first
how long did you give them before you put them in the tank? while adding your own water?
and did you just pour the fish in or did you net them?
and if everything checks out well then take the fish in a bag and some of your tank water withought ur dead fish in them and return them . Demand your money back.
are you also sure that the tail thing is caused from the rams? or did they just give you a bad fish?

I would return the fish and get my money back. If the lfs is known for decent fish, I'd take replacements or my money back, but if the tanks are poorly maintained, just demand your money back and go elsewhere.

How long has the tank been set up? What are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate readings? The red markings could be ammonia burns. Are there any other fish in the tank?

Moved to Sick Fish Forum.

Thanks everyone, sorry I wasn't more specific, I typed the post in a rush.

- I acclimated them using 1/4 cup of tank water every 5 minutes while floating for 20-25 minutes, netted them and put them in the new tank.
The tank has been setup for about a week, but it was my old 20gal transferred to this new 45gal. I'm running my old filter as well as the new. I tested all water parameters every day for a full week (all were fabulous) before deciding to add any fish. Parameters still look great (Ph in the mid 7's, no ammonia/nitrite, nitrate < 20ppm). Temperature is a steady ~81deg.
- Other fish in the tank include 2 blue rams, 6 danios, an L052 Pleco, 3 dwarf cories, 3 otos, and as of yesterday, a new cory and baby clown pleco that I bought at the same time I bought the cories that died. Everyone is fine.
- I'm not sure if the LFS is reputable - the tanks looked clean with no dead fish in them. It was the first time I had been in there. They seemed knowledgable, and the other cory (a different variety) and baby clown pleco are doing great so far.
- As for the tail, I can't say for sure if it was always there, or if it was eaten, etc. I just know that it appears to be missing (the "fan" part), and I know the only fish that would eat it would be the Rams.
- I put the bodies in a freezer and plan on taking them back to the store with the receipt sometime this week.

Anyone have any ideas as to why the cories would have acted that way, so disoriented and strange? Should I be worried about my tank/other fish?
Thanks a lot for the responses so far, and sorry about posting in the wrong forum (thanks for the move).
Thanks.

- As for the tail, I can't say for sure if it was always there, or if it was eaten, etc. I just know that it appears to be missing (the "fan" part), and I know the only fish that would eat it would be the Rams.
Any of your fish, including the new cory cat will eat at readily available protein. All fish are opportunistic and will not think twice about devouring a tank mate.
I have only seen red streaks twice due to either ammonia or septicemia, which often shows up as blood hemorrhaging under the skin of the belly and at the base of the fins (nasty bacterial infection). I don’t often hear of septic cases, so it’s probably not that :crossing fingers:

I'm quarantining from now on.
(y)

Back
Top Bottom