Need Help With Jack Dempsey.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, i have a problem. My dad is dead set on buying a jack dempsey for his 75 gallon community tank. some people think it can be done and others say dont do it. What are yall's thoughts?

3 clown loaches, to be rehomed later.
2 earth eaters.
4 cories.
2 angels.
1 pleco
9 black skirts
1 silver dollar
2 rams

Then I would say no. Jack Dempseys from what I remember are very aggressive and will probably be merciless to your other fish. Also, I would nix the silver dollar, as they are schooling and I believe need over 100 gallons. Are those other fish already in the tank?

A JD will definitely go after the smaller fish, although the larger stuff may be fine. It's not something I've played around with very much. If you get a tiny one he'll probably be okay for a few months, but at some point you may find the small community fish disappearing one by one.

Sorry off topic but did anyone elses heart drop when they read my dad is dead...? Then i realized it said dead set.. Awkward..

And to answer you question. I would have to go with no also just because i would worry about the angels and the cories.

bud29 said:
Then I would say no. Jack Dempseys from what I remember are very aggressive and will probably be merciless to your other fish. Also, I would nix the silver dollar, as they are schooling and I believe need over 100 gallons. Are those other fish already in the tank?

Yes the tank is already set up and has been for many years, 7 i think. the silver dollar was with 3 others originally, we had a pro stock/set up, but he is the only one left.

Yes he is gonna get a small one, about 2 inches. i am gonna hopefully be setting up a 55 gal to rehome my oscar so if there are any problems i guess i can toss it in with the oscar.

Thanks for the feedback guys i really appreciate it! :)

But does anyone have any tips to reduce aggression to its lowest being as i probably wont be able to talk my dad out of it?

No all thoes will most likely end up eaten or beat to death. I had one in a 90 gal with two fire mouths and two oscars and all was well till I moved. I put the jack and fire mouths in a smaller tank and jack got down rite angry. If hes dead set on it let him. Some ppl have to learn the hard way. I bet its gona be more like a home pre stocked with snacks and punching bags

mikeISright said:
And to answer you question. I would have to go with no also just because i would worry about the angels and the cories.

I'd worry about the JD chocking on a corydoras. With those barbs they have you're liable to loose both fish in that encounter.

Another note on there aggression. When I would feed them some gold fish the jack would grab one and beat it on some large rocks till it was in pieces then eat the smaller bite sized chunks. I think the only meaner fish you can get would be a red devil.

Just an update for the curious,
He did end up buying the jack dempsey today.
It is about two inches. It is also one of the rarer super dark colored ones (we only ever see the light ones) my dad also says he had tons when he was a kid and that he only ever had one of the super dark ones. It is a very impressive fish.
It has already shown aggression by chaseing the clown loaches and cories out of one of the corners, it has a tall plant and a rock angled so it is prime realistate LOL. He also has shown aggression to the two also aggressive earth eaters who are slightly larger than him.

I will post pics of the JD and the hiding spot in the morning.

This doesn't sound like it's going to end well :L and going in with the Oscar wouldn't be a wise idea either. If I were you id get him a 55g

Ding ding ding! Jack Dempsey vs. The rest of the tank: round one.......

I would like to see some pics. But the bottom line is, there aren't many fish that will come out of this alive....

bud29 said:
Ding ding ding! Jack Dempsey vs. The rest of the tank: round one.......

I would like to see some pics. But the bottom line is, there aren't many fish that will come out of this alive....

Haah! Totally agree. This fish needs to be rehomed or moved to it's own 20 gallon then in a few weeks a 55g .

He seems to be doing alright now, he only ever has stand offs with the earth eaters and they back down. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• image-3615377462.jpg
    image-3615377462.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 52
  • image-486431277.jpg
    image-486431277.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 58
  • image-2254523498.jpg
    image-2254523498.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 55
When he grows and matures I see problems, is there no way your dad might take him back? Or get another tank for him. Hey! It's a excuse to get another one! ( tank that is) ;)

Samzter said:
When he grows and matures I see problems, is there no way your dad might take him back? Or get another tank for him. Hey! It's a excuse to get another one! ( tank that is) ;)

lol ya we wont be getting anymore JD's right now! i am gonna try and convince him to let me set up a 55gal. the only thing is it would have to go in my room and i already have a 29 gal so it would have to be taken down. i guess i could spread the wealth of my stock among my brothers and my dad, but do you think that my polka dot loaches could go in with the JD? i really dont wanna part with them.

Well, the loaches wont be in with the JD if you set up a separate tank for him, right? And you will still be able to see your precious loaches even if your dad or brother have them:)

Back
Top Bottom