Need Help with Plant IDs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
It happens to everyone, we all buy something on impulse. A week ago I bought some plants on impulse. Right now they seem fine but I want your opinions. Are these truly aquatic, what kind of light do they need and are they suitable for fish? Thanks!

P.S. sorry for the bad pics, I took these with my phone.

Your photo skillz are about as good as mine... :)

Bacopa monnieri (moneywort)

Myriophyllum (myrio)

The other 2 stem plants, I can't tell from the photo. 1 of them could be rotala indica but the leaves look kind of long for that. Someone will know or have a better guess.

You will need moderate to high lighting for some of these plants. Myrio in particular is a root feeder, so nutrient rich substrate or some root tabs will be helpful, and maybe even required. It looks as if it is already suffering from lighting and nutrient deficiency in your photo.

Thanks! I'm taking a trip down to the LFS in another hour when it opens and will get that stuff! What are root tabs? Also do any of these plants need any nutrient supplements? My LFS sells this conditioner made by TetraBrand, it contains phosphates, co2 and nitrogen. I believe it is called Plantsafe. My lighting right now is an Aquaeon Full Spectrum Daylight. It is 8000 K, 17 W, 120 V, 24 inches, is a T8 and made in China. I don't know anything about lighting and watts per gallon, the bulb came with the stand. Is that going to provide sufficient lighting?

What size tank? I doubt that light will be sufficient, and unfortunately that will be the most important thing -- getting the light right. Adding liquid fertilizers when your lighting is not correct won't help anything unfortunately.

Root tabs are fertilizer tabs that are buried under the substrate.

Not sure about that supplement you have listed. It doesn't sound like something I would want to use... it is not going to contain CO2... maybe it contains glutaraldehyde as a source of C, but that would not be mixed with PO4 or KNO3.

For now, I would stick with some root tabs, and maybe a trace/K mix, like API leafzone or tetra florapride. Seachem flourish comprehensive would be another choice as well.

It's a thirty gallon. If that lighting is not good enough what kind of bulb do you reccomend? I will check out the brands you named. I will look for Tetra FloraPride, Seachem Flourish and API Leafzone, I'm pretty sure they should have these.

You would only need one of the three brands I mentioned. Not all of them.

Unfortunately it is not a question of bulbs. You will need a higher power fixture if you want to keep higher light plants like myrio. A 2 bulb t5ho from fishneedit.com or something similar would get you there.

I will look, but question: What is a power fixture? Is that the number of bulbs you can fit in your tank hood? If it is, I'd only be able to fit one in my hood.

Wattage, # of bulbs, and type of bulbs are what will determine how powerful it is.

Fort is saying you need to by a whole new hood that is rated for higher wattage bulbs. You can check fishneedit.com they have good prices and from what I've heard, they are great fixtures.

I have a 30g long with 96 watts of power compact light over it, CO2 and ferts, and I struggled with the myrio - just a warning. The other stems do look like rotala but I can't tell from the pics. Maybe some better close ups or a top-down shot would help.

Yeah, Steve makes a good point. Myrio is not on a list of the easiest plants to keep. It can be done without getting into CO2, but the nutrient requirements are pretty specific, and it shows signs of nutrient deficiency pretty quickly if something is missing or out of balance.

Okay. Well obviously a lot of things seem to be missing for my myrio! Oh Man this is going to be a tough plant to keep. As for the shots of the other plants-it looks like nutrient deficciency on them too, I don't know but it looks like sand also- here you go:

Btw thank you guys for all your help! :)

I would say the main problem is lighting. You will have to get that fixed before you worry about anything else with this tank, should you wish to keep live plants.

Alright. I'm running down to the LFS in about an hour, so do you think they should have some good bulbs? I'm sorry, I can't really change my hood, the hoods you mentioned are available at my LFS, I think it's a Marineland LED, but it costs 130 or such, can't afford that at the moment. Do you think some LEDs would work in there? I have also read around the web and have seen that metal hallides and halogen bulbs work very well. What do you think?

LEDs and MH are both options, though they will be more expensive than T5HO lights. The bulb you have is already the optimal bulb you can use in the fixture you have. There is nothing you can replace it with that would be better. It is just not enough wattage. Florescent bulbs aren't like incandescent bulbs -- the wattage of the bulb is standard. You cannot go out and buy another bulb that is higher wattage that will fit in your fixture. It will require changing out the entire fixture.

Alright. Well, I guess I will have to wait a little while then...it's not going to be until Christmas till I could get another hood with different light fixtures, I'm going to need some good ones. Is there anything that you reccomend that will be fine for a thirty gallon? Also what should I do with the myrio and moneywort I have now since I can't grow it, give it to someone else?

None of the plants you have will survive long term under 17W in a 30 gal tank. Giving them away is a good choice.

I would recommend a dual T5HO fixture from fish need it;lights; food;Sponge. This would greatly expand the options of plants that you could keep successfully, without requiring the extra cost and maintenance of CO2 injection.

Okay good to know! Will give some of them away. Are you sure none of them will grow? What about java ferns, even those? I have some in the tank as well.

I checked out the link you gave, looks like a nice lighting system! However I couldn't find the price. :confused: Will it fit on a thirty gallon? The tank its on looks a little bigger than that.

Good to know! This actually isn't half-bad, I will get it, for 75 it is good quality! Unfortunately I already opened the hood and light so I don't know if I can return that. :(

Back
Top Bottom