Need Help With Plecos!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFanatic88

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All! I have a 29 gal setup and i have abit of an algae problem. Awhile back to solve the problem i bought 2 CAE, quite ignorantly i might add. They took care of the algae for awhile but now it is returning and they appear to eat the flakes and pellets more often than the acculmilating algae. So finally i get to my questions! :) Ok first of all i am interested in buying a rubber lip or bristlenose pleco. My local persmart sells bristlenose plecos at maybe an inch and rubber lips at 1.5-2 inches. So should i go for the rubber lip because they are bigger? Are there pros or cons to either? Is one better than the other?

And i will be rehoming the CAE.

I have wanted to buy a pleco for awhile and any advice is welcome! :)

I would go with the bristle nose pleco. They are efficient workers that can live happily in your 29.

I'd do the Rubberlip Pleco. They don't look like they have mutant adolescent pimples from space, and they look almost armored, or sectioned, which is really cool. Both do the same job.

I've had both and I'd recommend the bristle nosed pleco. My rubber lipped never really cleaned the algae. But my b. Nosed left my tank spotless!

I agree. I just got my rubber nose because he was cheap and looked cool.

Thanks for the advice everyone! i was just worried that the BN pleco would be less likely to survive the initial intro being they are soo small. Or should i just buy 2 and rehome the second one if they both survive?

In a 29 gallon, just get the one bristlenose. They are the best and most consistent algae cleaners of the pleco family. I can drop algae wafers in my tank and they won't even touch it, they just go for the natural algae.

I have read that the CAE doesn't eat alge all it's life, just when it's young. That may be why it's not helping to keep your alge down. Unless you have agressive fish that will attack a fish as small as the BN pleco I wouldn't worry about it. I have read many great things about the BN pleco. I don't know much about rubber lip plecos though. I know that if you have a planted tanks that BN plecos won't harm your live plants. I don't know about Rubber Lips. I personally plan on getting myself a BN pleco. None of the LFS sell them though so I will have to order one.
Just a side note there. I have learned recently to not judge an alge eater by it's size because I just got two little ottos and they had eaten most of my alge within just a few days. Good luck getting a pleco, whichever one you decide in. :)

Thanks, i am gonna get a BNP. This is the first time i have seen the Petsmart by me ever have them. Hopefully they still have the little guys in a couple days.

Thanjs everyone! :)

If they don't I know that severum mama was selling them here in the forum. I can't say whether she still has any, but she's a great source for great fish.

Back
Top Bottom