Need help with some technical words

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sinuhe

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a bit confused by the words "box filter", "HOB filter", "corner filter", and so on. They aren't very self-evident, since I'm not sure which one refers to an air-run sponge filter, a power filter, and so on. I know HOB means "hang on back", but does it mean an internal or external filter? And what are my filters called, when they're both internal filters driven by engines and have sponge as filter material? I'd be very grateful if someone more familiar with the English terms could explain me this :).

My best interpretation.

box filter, coner filter, same thing: the old-fashioned filter that sits inside the aq, with carbon and floss in it, driven by an air pump.

HOB: all power filters. Mostly open-top filters with cartidges containing various media, crtriges changed easily. See whisper Power filters. Only one cannister type is an HOB (that I know of). Thats the magnum HOT filter.

Internal filters such as you described, I would just call them Internal Filters. :) Sorry, that's the best I've got. I don't think this type is very popular in the States.

If I can clarify further, let me know.

Right. The HOB filters are always going to be external, and the corner, box and sponge are all internal filters.

I have noticed on various aquatic boards that many outside of the US (esp. Europe) use internal filters, and canister filters are somewhat uncommon. In the US, HOB and canisters are just about on every tank, tiny to gargantuan!

I think it is really good when you can see what equipment get used in various countrys.
Here in the UK you will find that the size of aquarium normally sorts out what filter people use.
Normally small aquariums about 10-20 gallons tend to go for UGF and internal power filters, when you get to 25 gallons and above they go for internal and external power filters. You don't here much about HOB filters in the UK, maybe there might be a few marine keepers that use them. The biggest selling filters in the UK are Fluvel and Eheim.

Back
Top Bottom