Need Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's fine. Basically you just have to change enough to keep the ammonia (and nitrite) down at an acceptable level. Let your daily test results guide how much you change.

I have officially become addicted to aquariums! haha. When I put this tank together alittle over a week ago I was excited. Then I became confused and alittle nervous when I started doing research on what it took to properly keep a tank. Now I already look forward to my next tank, hopefully 40 to 55 gallons!:D

Ok.....Just did a 10% pwc. I will do a test alittle later tonight. Side note....My water looks alittle cloudy to me. Is there a safe product anyone uses to clear up their water?

Haha, I do believe so:dance: So I just did my test from after the 10%pwc. Ammonia-somewhere between 0 and .25(really hard to tell) Nitrite-0 nitrate-0 P.H.-closer to 7.8

Update: Ammonia-closer to .25 Nitrite-0 Nitrate-0 and PH-7.8.......I noticed my red guppy looks like he has acouple nibbles on his rear fin:confused: I will have to keep on eye on him....I think they might of just been rough housing, haha. Other than that tank look good and so do the fish and their energy!

Today.....Ammonia .25 Nitrites-0 Nitrates-0 PH-7.8
Planning on doing a water change either tonight or tommorow. Fish are looking happier then a clam and are very active!:fish1:

Update: Ammonia-between 0 and .25 closer to 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 7.8
The wait is killing me! Im not a very patient person but I think the results will be worth being patient:D
I am thinking about my stocking plan for the future. I already have 3 guppies.I wanted a DG but the more I thought I was wondering about a group of glofish (6). Then I was thinking about (5or6)cories or a pleco. My LFS has some smaller ones and I am planning on getting another tank, most likley 36-55 gallon so I could always relocate the pleco. Looking forward for some thoughts and opinions!

RedNeck said:
Update: Ammonia-between 0 and .25 closer to 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 0
PH- 7.8
The wait is killing me! Im not a very patient person but I think the results will be worth being patient:D
I am thinking about my stocking plan for the future. I already have 3 guppies.I wanted a DG but the more I thought I was wondering about a group of glofish (6). Then I was thinking about (5or6)cories or a pleco. My LFS has some smaller ones and I am planning on getting another tank, most likley 36-55 gallon so I could always relocate the pleco. Looking forward for some thoughts and opinions!

Glofish (zebra danios) need horizontal swimming space. The recommended minimum tank size is a 20g long because of this. Dwarf Cory species might work. It depends on the footprint (floor space) of your tank. The tiny plecos you see in the stores are infant monsters. They are commons and can reach 2 foot long needing a 125g tank just to have room to turn around. a better choice would be a bristlenose pleco. Minimum tank size is 20g but IME aren't the fastest of growers so if you upgrade in 6 or so months one would be fine in your tank short term.

Well if anyone would like to give me and idea on a good tank stock for this 15gal. hex I would much appritiate it!(y) Currently houseing three guppies. Floor space is 17 " from panel to panel.

Ok, One last question! I have the TopFin 30 hang on filter with them cheap charcoal cartridges. Is there any preferable filter media to use or a better cartridge. Or are the cheapy ones just fine...I seen those ceramic pellets online. I didn't know if it was worth dumping some of those in the bottom of the filter to collect bacteria.

I like to pull the cartridge apart and replace the floss with my own heavy duty sponge. Lasts way longer and doesn't clog as fast. Carbon isn't needed. What every you use make sure you don't keep replacing it. If you replace too much at once you can throw your tank into a cycle. I also use ceramic rings in some filters. They are good because they are easy to move around from tank to tank to seed new filters.

Would you just dump the ceramic rings or beads in the tub behind the filter? Any specific brand anyone found to be better then others?

Back
Top Bottom