Need Hugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquanewbie72

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi - I joined this forum in 2005 when I first got my aquarium but haven't posted in years (since the tank sort of went on "auto-pilot" - didn't have too many problems all these years).

Sadly today I had to euthanize my beautiful angelfish. She was almost 6 years old - I got her when she was just a baby and she was only the size of a quarter. She grew to be quite a big beautiful girl. Unfortunately she got hit with some mysterious and very aggressive bacterial infection - it ate all of her fins and her tail down to stubs. She couldn't swim and stopped eating about 2 days ago and had been face planted in the gravel and never moved. Believe me when I say - we tried EVERYTHING to save her but whatever this was - it was stubborn and wasted her in no time flat. We could not stand to see her suffer and knew she was not going to recover.

I stayed quite composed through the whole procedure (we went with the clove oil method). I even laid her in a paper towel and folded it up nice and neat. But when my husband got the garden spade and we headed outside for the burial, I completely lost it and just cried and cried. (and now I'm getting tears in my eyes again just typing it).

Hard to believe such a small creature can leave such a big hole in your heart when they are gone. You can't pet them, or cuddle with them, they don't make noise or do tricks... but wow - you sure do get attached anyway.

So honestly I just logged in again after all this time for some cyber hugs and to share with people I know can appreciate my pain. I know that if I posted this on Facebook, I'd be sure to get some grief from people who just don't understand. Can I get a hug?

:bawl:

Hi - I joined this forum in 2005 when I first got my aquarium but haven't posted in years (since the tank sort of went on "auto-pilot" - didn't have too many problems all these years).

Sadly today I had to euthanize my beautiful angelfish. She was almost 6 years old - I got her when she was just a baby and she was only the size of a quarter. She grew to be quite a big beautiful girl. Unfortunately she got hit with some mysterious and very aggressive bacterial infection - it ate all of her fins and her tail down to stubs. She couldn't swim and stopped eating about 2 days ago and had been face planted in the gravel and never moved. Believe me when I say - we tried EVERYTHING to save her but whatever this was - it was stubborn and wasted her in no time flat. We could not stand to see her suffer and knew she was not going to recover.

I stayed quite composed through the whole procedure (we went with the clove oil method). I even laid her in a paper towel and folded it up nice and neat. But when my husband got the garden spade and we headed outside for the burial, I completely lost it and just cried and cried. (and now I'm getting tears in my eyes again just typing it).

Hard to believe such a small creature can leave such a big hole in your heart when they are gone. You can't pet them, or cuddle with them, they don't make noise or do tricks... but wow - you sure do get attached anyway.

So honestly I just logged in again after all this time for some cyber hugs and to share with people I know can appreciate my pain. I know that if I posted this on Facebook, I'd be sure to get some grief from people who just don't understand. Can I get a hug?

:( Im so sorry! i wish i could give you a hug!

Aww, I'm sorry! I wish I could hug you! But your like 700 miles away :(

aquanewbie72 said:

Awww, I'm sorry :( I know what its like, I just lost my 2 angelfish who I raised from tiny little quarter sized things within a week of eachother. They have great personalitys. Hugs!!

awww ya see - I knew I could count on you guys. I left for a few minutes to get another tissue and a glass of wine and I've got 4 hugs already. Thank you so much!

welcome back!

I think I remember you back in 2005... hehehe

that's sad about your angelfish. She had a good life!

I was wondering, did you try melafix or pimafix ?

Long time pets are always the hardest to say goodbye to. They grow on you and become part of the family. I don't know the lifespan of Angela but be proud of the 6 years you had with her. You obviously did the best you could and there's no shame in that. Lots of hugs and don't be afraid to post questions and concerns

Apparently you were an awesom parents for her, if she lived for six years. Good job. :)

Hi, stranger. I just wanted to offer my condolences. I just had to euthanize one of my 3 year old Ryukin goldfish a while ago, so I completely sympathize. I really thought I was going to be able to get out in one piece, but then embarrassed myself at the vet's by bawling like a little kid (he had a huge tumor that had finally gotten so big he couldn't swim anymore, we wanted to make sure there were no other options or cures beyond what we'd already tried at home). That's actually why I came to this forum, while my family tries to be supportive, sometimes you just need to be around other people (even digitally) that get how much the little guys can mean to you.

So hugs to you, and cheers to loving fish-parents.

So sorry to hear about your angel fish :-( I have 2 myself and yes they're such beautiful fish! I just lost one of my bettas that I had about 2 yrs a little over a month ago and after that a Cory cat that I had about 4 years! I know it can be very hard even to lose a fish! Lots of hugs from me to you! :)

Sorry to hear about your angel, I love mine even though I got him/her only a couple of days ago, my favorite fish. I hope she is swimming forever in that big ocean in the sky :hugs:

Hi again everyone! Thank you so much for the outpouring of support - it really meant alot! :)

welcome back!

I was wondering, did you try melafix or pimafix ?

To answer this - yes thats always our first automatic response to fin rot - melafix, pimafix, water changes, heat. And many other times it has worked like a charm but unfortunately this time it didn't.

Today we finally decided it was time to get more fish. The large tank looked very bare with just a clown loach and a cory (I KNOW I KNOW about having a single clown loach and its not good for him. Oddly, our clown loach has been an "only child" for 5 years and he really became best buds with our Angel. Since she has been gone, he's been very sad.) So anyway - today we bought a second clown loach for our other one to play with and 5 tiger barbs (we've never had those before).

Since our old clown loach is named Twister, we've named the baby one Twizzler. and we've named the 5 barbs after 80's rock bands (Poison, Styx, Asia, Winger, and Whitesnake).

Thanks again for the hugs and condolences on our Angel.

:fish2:

*HUGS* I'm sorry about your loss. :/ it was tough just giving my oscars away. I hope your happy with your new fish. I love my barbs. And how big is your tank?

I'm so sorry! Here's a virtual hug.... It's tough loosing fish! And after 6 years, wow! I'm really sorry!

sorry about your fish !!! you gonna get anymore angels?

No we are going to take a break from Angels. We got tiger barbs today and they don't play nice with Angels.

We've only had the tiger barbs a few hours and we are already enjoying them GREATLY. The tank has gone from being a quiet Zen Sanctuary to a Circus. Our old Cory Cat is fascinated by them and has come up mid-tank to school with them. Our clown loach (will be 6 years old in January) came out of his cave to check them out but wasn't impressed. The new baby clown loach is hanging out in the cave now with the big one. Not sure the big one is happy about being "a dad" but they are not fighting or chasing - just chillin' together. Watching the crazy barbs outside. LOL

No we are going to take a break from Angels. We got tiger barbs today and they don't play nice with Angels.

We've only had the tiger barbs a few hours and we are already enjoying them GREATLY. The tank has gone from being a quiet Zen Sanctuary to a Circus. Our old Cory Cat is fascinated by them and has come up mid-tank to school with them. Our clown loach (will be 6 years old in January) came out of his cave to check them out but wasn't impressed. The new baby clown loach is hanging out in the cave now with the big one. Not sure the big one is happy about being "a dad" but they are not fighting or chasing - just chillin' together. Watching the crazy barbs outside. LOL

awhhhh... got any pictures!? :D(y)

Back
Top Bottom