Need ideas for a centerpiece fish please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got my new 75 gallon tank setup last week. It's been going with a cycled filter for about a week now. I figure in another week or so it'll be established enough that I can add a decent centerpiece fish(es), but I have no idea what to add. Current inhabitants of my somewhat lightly stocked tank.

BN pleco
6 flame tetras
6 glo lites
6 black neons
3 black skirts
6 false julii cories
2 pygmy cories
1 dwarf gourami (leftover from another tank)
1 female betta (felt sorry for her being kept in such a tiny cup at the store)

I had more black skirts when I had the fish in my 55, but I've had them forever and some of them have died. I want to round out that school, but I'm not sure where to go from there. Should I get one or two larger fish (obviously not too large or they'll eat the tetras) or a school or two of smaller fish? I was considering even a school of rainbows or maybe sticking w/the tetra theme and picking a larger tetra like the congo tetra. Any other ideas?

How about a pair of rams...Bolivian or German? I'd sugest an angel, but it (or they) may not get along with your gourami.

The congo tetras are a good idea...very pretty fish. Black skirts can be a bit nippy though, so I'd definitely watch them if you go with Congos. Congos get a little big (i think 3 inches), so they may be too much for what you've already got in the tank.

Personally, I'd up the tetra schools...either making them all 6 or 8 and get a pair (or 2) of rams.

I dunno about the black ghost knife suggestion...long term, a BGK would get big enough that those tetras might look tempting....then again, it would be years before that. BGK's are very fun and wicked looking fish, but they're nocturnal, which can detract from their appeal. I personally love mine, but just be aware.

HannahJ said:
I dunno about the black ghost knife suggestion...long term, a BGK would get big enough that those tetras might look tempting....then again, it would be years before that. BGK's are very fun and wicked looking fish, but they're nocturnal, which can detract from their appeal. I personally love mine, but just be aware.

I'm going to pass on the ghost knife. I'd be scared they'd eat my tetras for lunch one day. Plus, I'd be afraid they'd outgrow the tank.

It would take many a year before they outgrew a 75 gallon (and let's face it, they way we aquarium people are, you would have gotten yourself a 500 gallon or some other obscenely huge tank before then) but yeah, I wouldn't mix them with smaller tetras (or even some of the bigger ones).

Have you considered getting more gouramis? 2 males and 4 females (or similar a combination) would likely look very nice in your tank.

bosemani rainbowfish are absolutely stunning in my opinion. They don't look as colorful when you get them as juvis from the store but once they get some age and size on them they're beautiful and they won't bother your current fish.

talloulou said:
bosemani rainbowfish are absolutely stunning in my opinion. They don't look as colorful when you get them as juvis from the store but once they get some age and size on them they're beautiful and they won't bother your current fish.

How many do you think make a good school that would fit in my tank? 3-4? Half a dozen?

Rainbows are schooling, as you know. The Bosemani rainbows get about 4 inches each. He already has 4 schools of fish. A 75g is big, but it isn't that big IMO. I don't think there is room for another school of fish. But, its your tank...overstock it as you wish. :D

From my count there is apx 58-59 inches of fish in the tank right now. I think you could definitely get away with adding 3-4 bosemani rainbowfish but at that point you would be considered full so to speak. I personally don't see the problem as long as you're good about doing water changes. I myself am a notorious overstocker which is why I have to do water changes twice a week. But I really don't think you'd be overstocked if you added the rainbowfish. What's everyone else think?

wouldnt add another school. an angelfish is always a good centerpiece. could try to get 4 juvvies and hope they pair before they get too large, then take out the other two.

besides, having so many different types of fish detract from the tank. at least imo. add more to the existing. more cories! nothing crazier than 10 cories schooling (well maybe 20).

and wheres the pics!

I highly recommend 3-5 Bolivian Rams for your setup. They will do fine with what you have, and they get to 3 inches each. And if they pair off, no need to remove any in a 75G, you have plenty of room. And you may even get a bunch of babies. :)

besides, having so many different types of fish detract from the tank
I agree. In my 55g I have 3 kinds of tetras and it looks chaotic. I couldn't imagine having anymore than that. I like 2 big schools in larger tanks. That looks stunning. I just didn't realize how it looks until I had already bought 3 different types.

JustOneMore20 said:
besides, having so many different types of fish detract from the tank
I agree. In my 55g I have 3 kinds of tetras and it looks chaotic. I couldn't imagine having anymore than that. I like 2 big schools in larger tanks. That looks stunning. I just didn't realize how it looks until I had already bought 3 different types.

I don't agree with you completely. I've seen tanks with just a species or two and they were definitely stunning tanks. I love seeing all my different school up with their own kind when the lights go on in the morning, then breaking up and doing their own thing. sometimes by themselves sometimes with the school. I really like seeing all the different schooling fish together, but that's just me.

Anyway, I've kind of decided on 3-4 rainbowfish in a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom