Need ideas-please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kalvinlord

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 5 29 gallon tanks and I have ideas for all, but one I want something colorful active and that doesn't get bigger than about five inches so I can have a few already have the tank up and running with only two plecos one is 1 inch the other is 3 1/2 so please help.

I would't use the inch per gallon rule as gospel; it has a lot of faults.

29 gal tanks are too small for 5" fish. What kid of Plecos do you have? If one or either is a Common they can get very big and need much larger tanks.

They are both common plecs and when they are a little bigger they are going in my cousins 500 gallon tank so don't worry they be fine

Good for you. So many people put Common Plecos in little tanks, either not knowing that it can't work or hoping that they will be the exception.
I think they will be beyond happy in a 500g tank.

And also this with be a non-planted tank but I might have a few fake one and a lot of decor to block sight from dominant species.

And also this with be a non-planted tank but I might have a few fake one and a lot of decor to block sight from dominant species.

With my Mbunas I have decor to hide in but I have plants too. The fuller plants make great hiding places also plus the plants help camouflage the fish and the decor when someone needs to hide.
I made sure that most of the plants are no taller than half the tank height so that the can use the upper half to swim and the bottom half to hid when needed.
I still have a lot decor that they can claim as their own territory and sleep in. Mbunas lie down at night to sleep. But they love chasing each other around the maze of fake plants. Can't have real plants with these Cichlids because they will dig them up all the time.

I'm not sure if you could have mbunas as a permanent home in 29 gallon tanks. It could definitely be used for grow-out tanks though.

You could try African butterfly cichlids, which are fairly mild in tempermant, or a krib breeding pair or a shellie colony if you're still going with African cichlids

Sorry, I didn't mean you should put Mbunas in a 29g. Your right they wouldn't work out, but as a grow out it would be OK. I wouldn't try anything smaller than a 55g with Mbunas, but a 75g is be better.

I just meant that some of the fuller plants make for good cover even with aggressive fish. It just gives you some more options for decorating your tank.

Back
Top Bottom