need identification on macro alage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
alright someone identify this i got it from the pet store today the owner couldnt identify it it was mixed together all three types i have seperated it and put it all in my sump

alright guys this alage is in my tank now i have read about the cheatomorpha and it says its not one of the alages that asexualy reproduce giving a nitrate spike wat about the others i cant find anything about them should i take them out of sump i really dont want a nitrate spike

the second one is Grape Caulerpa, and the first is Caulerpa serrulata I think. Caulerpa is known to go sexual and contaminate tanks. I keep the grape type and cheato in my refuge and have not had a problem with it, knock on wood. but I also keep my fuge lights on 24/7. another thing to be aware of is Caulerpa is very invasive.

2nd pic looks like Caulerpa racemosa, 1st I agree with yetee and the third is a bit blurry to really determine...as with most algaes, these are really just guesses, but they should get you in the right direction.

alright thanks guys well i will do more research on them when i get home but for now i have to go fail a test in math class i did not study for god i hate college math

I keep grape calerpa in my refuge. IMO need to keep lite`s on 24/7 and well prunned.

1st 1 looks to be the very invasive, and illegal in many states, caulerpa taxifolia. I agree on the 2nd as grape caulerpa (caulerpa racemosa) and the 3rd chaeto.

edit: Since I put my glasses on, I'll say the 1st is caulerpa serrulata.

Last edited:
are either of the first two a terrible terrible choice to have in my sump because all three are in the sump at the moment with a 75w philips plant light hanging over it

well i just hung the light today i put the alage in last night before bed light on today i want to be home a while before i let this light stay on cause it feels very hot i want to watch and see how hot the light gets but when i am home it will always be on and yea i will keep it cut but right now its just a handfull of alage so it is going to be a while before its cut

That grape can get very hard to remove, I'm not sure why your LFS sold you all three of them.

well i wanted the cheat but he was a idiot and sold those three types and didnt have a clue which was which and sold them as a tangled up mess i have seperated them and they are in sump tank now but if anyone says take it out ane alot of people agree i will take out any of the three

Well, that makes sense. I would just watch them and make sure you keep them pruned. A newer tank may not have enough nutrient in it for them to be large or grow fast....keep them small and make sure you take out any part that is turning white...
Other than that, you should be ok.

If you are not going to run the light 24/7 make sure you run it opposite your main tank lighting.

Back
Top Bottom