Need new heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brimac41

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am in need of a new heater and I am looking at different brands of heaters . Has anyone used a Hydor Theo heater ? I am really interested in this brand .

yes, i have and they are junk imo. the only heater i have ever had that was worth anything is the marineland stealth pro and thats the case for anybody thats ever owned one

I bought the Marineland stealth heater a few weeks ago... its the black one with the t-stat and adjustment at the top right?

Anyways, im really happy with it... keeps the temperature steady eddy... no variations. The heater that it replaced was a glass one (brand name escapes me right now) and it SUCKED big time... on the lowest setting, my tank was at 82f. Waaaayyyyy to high for my community. The stealth is set at 76f and I havent seen either of my tanks thermometers leave that point. So yeah, another +1 for the marineland heaters. You'll pay a $5 more, but its very well worth it.

The THEO heaters are garbage if you ask me. I would recommend Visitherm or Visitherm-Stealth or Ebo-Jager. The top of the line would be the Ebo-Jager as they can be recalibrated unlike most other heaters. I have a couple of Stealths but can't honestly say that they aren't without faults.

They have a safety feature built in to turn off the heater whenever they are above water. If you leave the heater plugged in while doing a water change and lower the water below the heater causing it to shut off, you may not know until you check the temperature again. The heaters won't kick back on without some hassle. You have to unplug the heater, remove it from the tank for 10 minutes or so and then put it back into the tank for another 10 minutes before plugging it back in. I've found my discus tanks at 76 (instead of 84-86) a couple of times because of this. The Stealths don't have an indicator light to tell you when they are running...one reason why I prefer the Visitherms over the Visitherm Stealths. Any of the 3 that I recommended will be good in your tank, including the Stealth. Just be aware that they can be a pain.

The new Stealths do have a Light, it the actual noob to adjust the temp, i also found out with the stealth with the shut off all i had to do get it back on was push in the same dial, so far the best heater i have ever had

I have a Visi Therm already . It's been in my tank for years , but it crapped out on me yesterday right after I posted this . I guess after 6 years of use I have gotten my monies worth out of it . I had a back-up Visi Therm heater but the glass was cracked when I took it out of the box (have no idea how that happened since it was fine when I stored it) . This was why I originally started this thread . I usually order equipment on line but it was an emergency so I had to get a heater from my LFS .The only one that was not too over priced was an Aqueon . They wanted close to $50 for a Visi Therm and Visi Therm Stealth . The Aqueon will have to do until I order another Visi Therm on line . I will just stick with what I know to be trust worthy .

Thanks for the heads up on the Theo , though .

They have lifetime warranties. Call or e-mail Marineland and I am 99% positive they will send you a new one for free. :)
Also, the Stealths aren't glass, which is another reason people like them. I have 7 of them.

I have a hydro, it has been in the tank 3 years and never varies by a single degree.

Thats the one I just threw out!! Piece of junk. On the lowest setting, the temp would stay at 82f. :eek2:
Is it true the marineland heaters carry a lifetime warranty? I didnt factor that when I bought my stealth, but thats cool if its true!!

Back
Top Bottom