Need new light. Advice for a light newbie?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RachelG

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon long tank (30 inches) and its light has broken. It was working just fine until I unplugged it to move the extension cord and plugged it back in. Now it wont turn on when plugged into any electrical outlet, so I think I may have broken something in the power cord when I unplugged it. It was used when I bought it, but I bought it less than a month ago. :(

I don't know a heck of a lot about lighting. What kind of lights can I get for the tank for low light plants (java fern, anubias, hornwort, moss) that won't cost a lot of money? I'm very low on money right now, so $50 might be the most I can spend, if I can even afford that. I was going to save up to get a really good light, but I wasn't expecting my used light to go so quickly! I want to keep it below 2 watts per gallon, so no more than 40 watts. I understand that more than that will require some co2 business, and I don't want to mess with that.

I messed with the cord, and the light flickered on. So I guess a wire in the cord is damaged after all, but it still works. That's good for now, at least. I don't have to rush to get a cheap light to keep my plants from getting unhealthy. :)
But I'd still like advice on decent lighting.

I have a 20 gallon long tank (30 inches) and its light has broken. It was working just fine until I unplugged it to move the extension cord and plugged it back in. Now it wont turn on when plugged into any electrical outlet, so I think I may have broken something in the power cord when I unplugged it. It was used when I bought it, but I bought it less than a month ago. :(

I don't know a heck of a lot about lighting. What kind of lights can I get for the tank for low light plants (java fern, anubias, hornwort, moss) that won't cost a lot of money? I'm very low on money right now, so $50 might be the most I can spend, if I can even afford that. I was going to save up to get a really good light, but I wasn't expecting my used light to go so quickly! I want to keep it below 2 watts per gallon, so no more than 40 watts. I understand that more than that will require some co2 business, and I don't want to mess with that.

Have you tried to change the bulbs? Bulbs blow out at wierd times.
If you need a new one now check out coralife dual t5s. Get the 24 inch as the bulbs are the same as the 30.
If you can wait till you save up current usa freshwater led+ is cool.

Since 20 longs are so short, a little lighting goes a long way. If you aren't terribly concerned about aesthetics, you could get a clip-on light from home depot and put in a 23w daylight CFL. Very cheap but efficient. There are also some T5HO and LED options, however those would probably be too strong for a low-light setup. Some of the more low-powered LED fixtures include the Current USA Satellite+ and the Finnex Fugeray. These cost a considerable amount more than other lighting options, however.

Since 20 longs are so short, a little lighting goes a long way. If you aren't terribly concerned about aesthetics, you could get a clip-on light from home depot and put in a 23w daylight CFL. Very cheap but efficient. There are also some T5HO and LED options, however those would probably be too strong for a low-light setup. Some of the more low-powered LED fixtures include the Current USA Satellite+ and the Finnex Fugeray. These cost a considerable amount more than other lighting options, however.

I wouldn't drop money on LEDs... You have super lowlight plants. So get a 2 t8 fixture and call it a day. Or clip on CFLs.

Would any old cfl bulb fixture be good enough to grow plants? Is there really a difference in the aquarium specific brands?

I wouldn't drop money on LEDs... You have super lowlight plants. So get a 2 t8 fixture and call it a day. Or clip on CFLs.

I agree, just giving all the options :) IMO the clip on lights are some of the best lighting options from an economic standpoint, considering the high PAR you can get from them.

img_2678151_0_8999e2a801948304949f33457cf328e2.jpg

Would any old cfl bulb fixture be good enough to grow plants? Is there really a difference in the aquarium specific brands?

Home depot has some 150-watt clip-on lights for $8.50, that's what I would use. Then get a pack of 23w daylight CFLs. Try to get the color temperature at 5000k or higher. Some people can find 6500k 23w CFLs, I haven't been able to so I settle for 5000k.

Back
Top Bottom