Need one more type to fill out stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noghri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I currently have a 55g medium planted tank, with more plants on the way. I am looking for one more fish or group of fish to fill out my stock and would like some ideas

Current Stock:

2 Dwarf Gouramis
6 rosy barbs
1 Red Tailed Shark
~10 Red cherry Shrimp

I am planning on adding a Rio-Negro Pleco as soon as my LFS can get one in stock (they were unavailable his last order)

Looking for one more fish or school of fish that will work well with these. I was thinking Tiger Barbs, but I've seen several places that they are more inclined to eat my shrimp.

Does anyone have any ideas?

You could do Lemon or Diamon Tetras probably even Cardinal or Rummynose tetras. Or if you want to go for a surface schooler look into Marble Hatchetfish.

The lemon and cardinal tetra's look pretty cool. So does the hatchet fish. The cardinals would probably go well with the look of my current fish.

AqAdvisor indicates that the cardinal tetras and red-tailed shark might not be compatible. Does anyone have any experienced with that?

Add one more dwarf gourami, five more rosy barbs and a school of 12 skunk cories.

David

AqAdvisor indicates that the cardinal tetras and red-tailed shark might not be compatible. Does anyone have any experienced with that?
I don't see why that would be a problem. Don't get juvenile cardinals, but make sure they are adults and plump, if possible. On the other hand, get the RTS as a juvenile.

David

I've kept cardinals and rummies with RTS years and years ago and never had any problems. But as already mentioned I wouldn't put small cardinals in with a large RTS. If the RTS is larger then I'd go with Lemons or Diamonds but they can be sold really small too. You also can look into Congo tetras which are really nice and a good size.

I've only had the RTS about a month, he's about 2.5 inches, and still pretty young. It doesn't seem like he is big enough yet to eat anything else yet, but perhaps in the future.

I just remembered recently a member posted a picture of thier good sized RTS with a school of neons in the tank.

I might press with the cardinals. They will match the color theme of the tank and look good with my plant when they get here. On a side note, how long does it usually take you to get your plants from extraplant? I ordered some on the 31st, I was hoping they'd get here yesterday, but no such luck. I haven't got a shipping notice yet either.

You need to email them, I don't think they send notice till they ship the order. Its been about 6 months at least since I ordered from them. Also did you do overnight shipping or ground? I've emailed them on occassion and it usually doesn't take long for them to get back to you.

Not in the least bit. I'm assuming this tank has been cycled, correct?

David

Its been cycled for a few month. I see adding the gourami, I had 3 but one died. Adding 4-6 Rosy Barbs or 6 Cories, I could see, but if I were to add 5 barbs, 12 cories and a gourami would bring the total fish to 27, plus however the constantly increasing shrimp population.

This is my first serious aquarium, and I'm still pretty new to it, but it just seems like a lot.

Oh, I didn't take into consideration the soon-to-be-added pleco. Drop the rosy barbs to 3, for a total of 9, and leave the cories at 12. I would still add the dwarf gourami, for a total of 3. That'll dilute the aggression, as you will most likely have three males. If/when some of the cories or barbs die off, you will still have a decent count. Make sure you have good filtration and you will enjoy an active tank.

David

It is an interesting Idea, but I think I like the Idea of the cardinal Tetra the better. Maybe I'll fill out the school of Rosy Barbs to 9 or so and then add about 10 Tetras. I Have noticed that one my Gouramis had been nipping at the other, so I may add another to bring it back to my original 3.

Back
Top Bottom