Need plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks like Hygrophila to me. Couldn't tell you what the species is, but possibly a giant Hygro. Very robust and prolific if that's what it is. Be prepared to do a lot of pruning to keep it tamed :)

It doesn't look exactly like my Hygrophila polysperma (I don't see any veining in the leaves) but I think it's a hygro also like the others have mentioned. You will have to do a lot of pruning, probably once a week. I take mine all out of the tank and trim it, plus remove the little "hair" roots along the stem. If you want more it's very easy to let it grow out, but at times it can overrun the tank. I have mine in a 5 gallon tank (yes, I'm crazy!) :lol:

Looks kind of like narrow leaf ludwigia repens. Mine kind of looks like that, and has shoots that shoot down from where the leaves start at the stem. Kind of like the red plants in this pic, mine are turning more green now.

Ludwigia repens x. "Arcuata"
75g50.jpg

If it is the Ludwigia repens, you need really high light to keep the red. I had 260W CF on my 75G and is turning back to green on the top. Added another fixture, bringing it to 520W and within an hour, the reds started coming back. Will see in a day or 2 if it will go back to the beautiful red it was when I got it.

As for the shoots, it's the white things going down back to the surface. I believe that's how it propagates. Your pic looks like there's a lot of shoots, kind of like how mine is now.

Back
Top Bottom