Need recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't remember what filter it is exactly. It was just the 20 gal one that came with the tank when I bought it a few years ago. It's always worked fine. Do you think I'd need to beef it up some if I stocked it with all them fish? Or just a good idea to?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think this would be a good stock list:

12 pygmy cory cats
15 celestial pearl danios
6 scarlet badis

I tried it on aqadvisor and it says this would be 88% full so it would probably work.

I would bump up the filter to one rated for 40 gallons. Extra filtration is never a bad thing.

I run 2 filters on my 75 gallon, a canister rated for 100 gallons and an HOB rated for 70 gallons. Tank stays very clean besides some plant debris that the loaches knock up.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You like catfish? get corys..

If you like catfish I would suggest corys. Cory catfish come in many different types and colors, I have 3 albino corys and 1 peppered. They are awesome; they don't get too big, they move around all the time and make the tank exciting while they clean/eat. Plus, well at least for me, they all get along with each-other and other fish. I got all my fish at petsmart. But you need to fill out your tank, catfish are just bottom feeders. If I were you I would get like 3 guppies (top-mid swimmers), 3-5 neon tetras(middle/ all around swimmers) 2-3 cory's and then maybe a little group of another type of community fish like mollys. Just make sure not to over crowd the tank or buy all the fish a once.

Typed in some things into Aqadvisor, and i got a nice list for you.
6 corydoras paelatus
2 apisto CAC
8 gold tetras
Stocking level is 102%
Just slightly over stocked, but if you have a good filter then it should be fine, as long as you don't go any higher with your stocking level

I didn't have a specific type of corys in mind, but I do know that my lfs has panda corys, and they look pretty sweet, so I will likely go with a handful of them. Apistos are what I'm thinking as the centerpiece fish, just a couple of them. I hope my lfs has some in stock. And yeah, tetras seem like a good option as the top swimmers. I think this seems like a solid plan if the store has what I need.

When you go to your LFS post a list of the tetras and corydoras, that they have and that you like

I only made a quick stop at the lfs to grab a few things so I only got a couple minutes to look around at the fish. They definitely have about a dozen panda cories. There was another spotted variety but I think I'm sold on the pandas. Tomorrow I will be buying probably 6 of them. I did see one kind of apisto, don't remember the name, but they were really young and redish. I'm gonna have to give them a closer look before I buy. Tetras was confusing, there were many types of tetras and I did not recognize any of them. Well there were cardinal tetras, lots of them. This will also require further investigation. But currently my plan is to get a few live plants and the cories on Saturday, then return next week for anything else.

I would recommend putting the apistos in last so they will establish their territory after the other fish are acclimated to the tank

I only made a quick stop at the lfs to grab a few things so I only got a couple minutes to look around at the fish. They definitely have about a dozen panda cories. There was another spotted variety but I think I'm sold on the pandas. Tomorrow I will be buying probably 6 of them. I did see one kind of apisto, don't remember the name, but they were really young and redish. I'm gonna have to give them a closer look before I buy. Tetras was confusing, there were many types of tetras and I did not recognize any of them. Well there were cardinal tetras, lots of them. This will also require further investigation. But currently my plan is to get a few live plants and the cories on Saturday, then return next week for anything else.

With a 20 gallon, you *should* be OK introducing six cory at once, but check your water parameters daily for a while. I introduced five at once in my 20g and I didn't have a mini-cycle, but I was checking every day and did water changes every two-three days for two weeks just to be safge. If you want to play it safe, I'd get 3-4 first, and then the rest a week or two later.

Good suggestions, thanks. I am beefing up my filter to a aqueon 50. Question about food. I don't want to purchase five different foods, what should I buy for feeding the cories? Right now I only have cichlids tetra flakes. Would those be sufficient for the apistos?

Also I've read some places that for apistos it would be best to get one male and 2-3 females. Is this true? Would I be fine with one male and one female? I don't want to overstock but I also don't want the male to pick on the female for whatever reason. Thoughts?

I feed my cories flakes from API, and black worms, they go crazy with the worms though. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

So I got 6 pandas and 6 neon tetras. For now I'll let them have the tank to themselves. Cac apistos were $15 a piece, so I'm considering doing something else. Any suggestions for a good match with cories and neons?

So I got 6 pandas and 6 neon tetras. For now I'll let them have the tank to themselves. Cac apistos were $15 a piece, so I'm considering doing something else. Any suggestions for a good match with cories and neons?

About any small tetra or danio will work. Except buenos aires tetras, heard they are mean.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

A trio of cherry barbs. Peaceful, nice color, usually available at any lfs.

A trio of cherry barbs. Peaceful, nice color, usually available at any lfs.

I'd bump it up to 5 of them just from personal experience mine are still a little skittish at 5. They are so sweet though!

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They did have cherry barbs and they did look nice. Maybe I'll get a few of them next week.

I'd bump it up to 5 of them just from personal experience mine are still a little skittish at 5. They are so sweet though!

They did have cherry barbs and they did look nice. Maybe I'll get a few of them next week.

If the space is available go for 5, more females than males. I really think they'd look nice with the other stock. Definitely my favorite barb!

Back
Top Bottom