Need some advice on ideas for a new 2.5 g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cherokeeluvr

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found this tank on Amazon and it comes with a filter and a Finnex Stingray light for $54. http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k587/Cherokeeluvr/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsveh0wsv7.jpg the dimensions are: Width: 6, Length: 12, Height: 8. I was thinking of getting some of the reddish flourite as substrate. Also I found some really cool black stone at my LFS. It's kinda tall and has little grooves that run up it! I don't know what kind of driftwood though or how much. Any suggestions on that? I want to do a carpet with flame moss. What other plants should I get? I was planning on having blue velvet shrimp, plain tiger shrimp, and a male betta. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Nice looking tank! How large is the piece of driftwood you're looking at?

Not sure about the lighting. I have an Evolve 4 with the kit led lighting, planted with java fern, pygmy chain sword, flame moss, dwarf water lettuce. I'll try to find a recent pic, I find that I mess around with the small tanks more often than the larger :whistle:

Be careful with the betta and shrimp, there's a chance they could become a meal :rolleyes:

Edit: just took a quick photo. Back right on the bottom are two SS mesh squares with flame moss attached. I added them a few days ago so they're just starting some vertical growth. I'm also going to add a moss ledge on the right wall just under the filter output.

img_3173580_0_7359d6744b714b597ee737459f765106.jpg

Nice looking tank! How large is the piece of driftwood you're looking at?

Not sure about the lighting. I have an Evolve 4 with the kit led lighting, planted with java fern, pygmy chain sword, flame moss, dwarf water lettuce. I'll try to find a recent pic, I find that I mess around with the small tanks more often than the larger :whistle:

Be careful with the betta and shrimp, there's a chance they could become a meal :rolleyes:

I haven't found any driftwood yet, only found some rock I like.

I think the light is good, it's fairly expensive and has 4 1/2 star reviews from around 60 people on Amazon. I think I want to get some Java fern for it. if you find a pic that would be great ;) and haha yeah I like the small tanks too!

I currently have a betta with shrimp and he doesn't eat them, but I've heard that once the shrimp breed the bettas will sometimes snack on the babies, which is part of the reason I want the moss so there's a good place to hide!

Sorry as I was typing you must've posted the pic! Nice! Did you get the flame moss on Amazon? I saw some on the little squares on Amazon.

Han Aquatics! Really nice guy, I've ordered from him a bunch of times. You can buy the mesh bare of with moss and he offers quite a few choices.

What's funny about this tank is that I actually got it to eventually move to the spouse's work office. I've done so many changes he finally gave up asking when he'd get it :whistle:

I'll check out his site! Thanks! And lol!

I would prefer real, but if there's some amazing looking fake I might also consider that, but I like how natural looks generally.

Any specific driftwood you think would look go in this tank?

Thanks! Look at piece #4418 I think that could work if I trim it a little bit!

And I love the trees to :D

Any advice on some plants?

Any advice on some plants?

Is there anything you're particularly interested in? I tend to browse books and online, check out low and medium plants I like, do research and ask questions here (y)

I have shrimp in five tanks and they all enjoy floating plants. They also really appreciate mosses.

In my smaller tanks I have java fern, anubias, small crypts, dwarf sag, najas grass, pygmy chain sword.

I was thinking flame moss carpet, anubias petite, and some Java moss. I would like more than that, but can't think of what else.

Any other ideas for plants?

Smaller plant options: dwarf lily, crypt parva, echinodorus parviflorus, banana plant. You could do taller plants but would have to trim at some point.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom