Need some advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fort, Homedog, thanks to you both :)

Fort - no, I have not (yet) read the fishless-cycling article you pointed to. It's on the printer now, and I'll be reading it over lunch :)

So I'll go find the API freshwater master kit as suggested, which will give me a more accurate understanding of what's happening to the water. I already have fish food, so I guess that can be added to the tank and will break down into something, which does something, to something which ends up useful! ;)

[Clearly I need to go read this article]

Apologies if I missed off any replies, I didn't expect to get so many replies so quickly!

Thanks!

Best of luck rsp. The article will answer a lot of questions (and probably generate a few more).

Again, welcome to AA.

Fort - no, I have not (yet) read the fishless-cycling article you pointed to. It's on the printer now, and I'll be reading it over lunch :)

So I'll go find the API freshwater master kit as suggested, which will give me a more accurate understanding of what's happening to the water. I already have fish food, so I guess that can be added to the tank and will break down into something, which does something, to something which ends up useful! ;)

Apologies if I missed off any replies, I didn't expect to get so many replies so quickly!

Thanks!

your welcome again also here on Aquarium Advice/AA you get nice friendly comments and help. can we see some pics in the future?

rsp said:

Thanks!

Your welcome! You won't believe how lucky you are that You found this site before you added fish! It really does save your fish!

Your welcome! You won't believe how lucky you are that You found this site before you added fish! It really does save your fish!

Of that, I am sure :)

I really appreciate all the help and advice. I'll take some pictures as soon as the cycle is complete and there are some fish.

I've actually just ordered the API Freshwater Master kit, which hopefully should arrive by the end of the week. In the mean time, having now read the article Fort suggested earlier, I'll occasionally 'feed' the tank with a crumpled fish flake every 12 hours or so.

One other quick question - I think the answer is obvious but I wanted to check! When I'm doing a partial water change, before I add new water, I'm adding Tapsafe, yes?

Cheers!

Yes, and treat the whole tank. Most people here like prime though, but you should be ok.

Of that, I am sure :)

I really appreciate all the help and advice. I'll take some pictures as soon as the cycle is complete and there are some fish.

I've actually just ordered the API Freshwater Master kit, which hopefully should arrive by the end of the week. In the mean time, having now read the article Fort suggested earlier, I'll occasionally 'feed' the tank with a crumpled fish flake every 12 hours or so.

One other quick question - I think the answer is obvious but I wanted to check! When I'm doing a partial water change, before I add new water, I'm adding Tapsafe, yes?

Cheers!

correct, you add it in the tap water, wait , it will say on directions how long. for me 15 min. then put it into the tank.

Fishman13 said:
correct, you add it in the tap water, wait , it will say on directions how long. for me 15 min. then put it into the tank.

I don't even wait. (even though I probably should lol, just my lack of patience!)

How concerned about algae forming should I be?

I have read that this time in the tank's cycle is perfect for aglae formation because there are no fish... Plus, there's plenty of sunlight :)

Don't be too concerned. You can get some ottos or another algae eater later if it becomes an issue.

How concerned about algae forming should I be?

I have read that this time in the tank's cycle is perfect for aglae formation because there are no fish... Plus, there's plenty of sunlight :)

i have had my tank for three month no major sign of algae. be prepared have a few bucks for the treatment but don't worry to much

Hey all.

Just thought I would update you and say that the water is now very nearly completely clear.

I have completed two 10% water changes two days apart since. 24 he's ago I startes feeding the tank minute amounts of tropical fish flakes and also increased the temp to 27C.

Am still waiting for my API master kit to arrive but my inaccurate strips seem to indicate a rise in Nitrate at long last.

Will update more soon but just wanted to thank you all got sharing your knowledge :)

D'oh... autocorrect on my phone made me look like I can't spell in my last post lol :)

Hey all.

Just thought I would update you and say that the water is now very nearly completely clear.

I have completed two 10% water changes two days apart since. 24 he's ago I startes feeding the tank minute amounts of tropical fish flakes and also increased the temp to 27C.

Am still waiting for my API master kit to arrive but my inaccurate strips seem to indicate a rise in Nitrate at long last.

Will update more soon but just wanted to thank you all got sharing your knowledge :)

alright you are doing a great job. do you know what fish you are going to get?

I kind of have a rough idea... but nothing firm?

I'd like some neon tetras, maybe some zebra danios (I think they're called?), a red tail black shark and perhaps a plecostomus catfish but I have heard conflicting things about keeping those in a smaller aquarium?

What do you think?

Back
Top Bottom