Need some help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazztalker

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was out of the country for about 3 months, and had a friend looking after my place, including my fish. I had given away my good fish so they wouldn't die, but I kept a few damsels and a blenny in the tank to keep some life in there. Well, I don't think my friend did a very good job, as the tank looks pretty dirty. None of the fish I left died, so that's definitely good. However, there is a lot of algae buildup on my crushed coral, and I do mean a lot. There is also quite a bit on my live rock. What can I do to clean up the crushed coral? Should I try to get the live rock clean too, or leave the algae on it? It also looks like the tank walls were never cleaned off, so does anyone have a suggestion to clean that off - there looks to be some build up on that as well. Thanks!

What color / type is it? If its red slime cyano from over feeding etc... it can just be siphoned or vac-ed off the substrate and even off the LR... I'd test your water and do some water changes etc... clean your glass up good and even add a nice size clean up crew too :) Glad your fish made it :)

I had my husbands cousin 'watch our tank and well, I didn't have timers, we were gone 4 or 5 days and he never came ONCE... my lights were on 24/7 and I had a huge neon green tank.. my fish made it too... I was shocked, as I couldn't even see thorugh my tank when I walked it.

Welcome back BTW :)

Thanks, and thanks for the advice! Its a green algae. Some of it is just "normal" green algae and some of it almost looks like what you'd see on a penny or copper outside. I'm hoping I can just siphon it off b/c I'd hate to go through the hastle of replacing some of it in my tank...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom