Need some help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edgekrusher

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
K, I have a 2.5 gallon tank that has been up for two weeks. Actually it's my girlfriends. Well for the past two weeks shes had a Beta and two Red wagtail platies. Yesterday one died, unexpectedly. I asked her to test the water. She only has the test strips, I don't like those, and it's my fault she has them. I just didn't think that she was going to get into this like I'm into my reef setup. So, Bad me! anyway, I was wondering what tests would work well, that aren't very complicated, but more acurate than the test strips. They must be off, because everything is way to high, I don't remember the exact readings, but it prompted me to have her do two water changes a couple hours apart. Tests people, I need good ones so her fish last. I hate losing them.

I would recommend the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Kit for starters. I have used these for many years and they are great for FW. The only drawback is that the ammonia kit is a nessler reagent and will give a false reading if you have used AmmoLock or a similar product to control the ammonia. I have used the strips before and I didn't like them much either. The above mentioned kits may be sold under the "Doc Wellfish" name although I haven't seen that one in a few years. Hagen kits are good also.

I use Hagen kits myself I like them.

You also can take a sample of your water to lfs most places with test your water for free.

Chris.

Petco sells those kits. I figured that about the ammo lock, but I also thought that if you checked it the next day the carbon media should have removed the ammolocked ammonia. am I wrong?

Back
Top Bottom