Need some tough plant suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreadz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone suggest some tough plants or plants that just won't be so tempting to my destructive clown loach!
My fish are in a temporary home at the mo until I can set up my replacement main tank. I decided to try my hand at real plants both because of the more natural appearance and to soak up some nitrates.
It's a low tech setup: low light, no co2, sand substrate. I started out with some amazon swords and some vals. The problem is that my 4-5" clown loach keeps digging the plants up or munching through them!
Any suggestions please for tough/unappetising plants that I can try and how best to anchor them to prevent my loach constantly uprooting them??

greetings.

javafern or anubias attached to rock or driftwood sould do ok, except you could never remove said string if the clown loach is that active.

Tough Plants

Can someone suggest some tough plants or plants that just won't be so tempting to my destructive clown loach!
My fish are in a temporary home at the mo until I can set up my replacement main tank. I decided to try my hand at real plants both because of the more natural appearance and to soak up some nitrates.
It's a low tech setup: low light, no co2, sand substrate. I started out with some amazon swords and some vals. The problem is that my 4-5" clown loach keeps digging the plants up or munching through them!
Any suggestions please for tough/unappetising plants that I can try and how best to anchor them to prevent my loach constantly uprooting them??

Hello Dread...

No problem. There are several that will stand up to a destructive aquarium fish. Java fern, Anubias, Onion and Amazon swords are good submerged plants. Peace lily, Aglaonema, Pothos and Philodendron are good plants too. However, these must be emersed (roots underwater and leaves above).

B

Back
Top Bottom