need suggession about pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sayan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I hav a 78g with 2 oscar,2 severum,1 pleco & 1 firemouth.using to power filter and a UGF. I want to know about d water change of my tank and its frequency, benefits and any other info if u want to share. I hav another question also is dis water change good for growing my juvi oscars?

I would suggest a bigger tank.78 gallons is too small for those fish.Oscars get huge 15-16".That would be ok for 1 oscar alone.
Your gonna need massive filtration with all those fish and I would recommend 2 x 50% pwc per week to keep your water healthy.
I personally think your heading for disaster and fish deaths are inevitable IMO.

Yup I know dat need a bigger tank bt all of dem I mentioned there r all juvis. Wil shift dem to d bigger tank soon. I never had an issue with water change and fish died. I just want to know is dat water change help my oscars to stay healthier or increase in their growth?

Regular pwc's will keep your fish happy and healthy therefore if they are happy they will grow at a normal rate and be in great condition.the right food and tank decor is equally important,but IMO the right size tank is the most important factor in fish growth.

Yup dats true bt regular change isn't possible all d time. So atleast how often I can change if I want to keep a cetain days gap? Once or twice in a week? Is dat gonna work?

sayan said:
I hav a 78g with 2 oscar,2 severum,1 pleco & 1 firemouth.using to power filter and a UGF. I want to know about d water change of my tank and its frequency, benefits and any other info if u want to share. I hav another question also is dis water change good for growing my juvi oscars?

For the appropriate number of the appropriate Cichlids in the appropriate sized tank, a 30-50% weekly PWC would likely be sufficient. However, if your tank is overstocked, or you have fish that should be in larger tanks, you may need to do it more often as Garfy recommended.

IMHO, the best way to determine if you need in increase the % or frequency of PWCs is to test your water parameters regularly. If you have a properly cycled tank, your Ammonia and Nitrites will be very close to zero. Nitrates are at the end of the Nitrogen cycle, so PWCs are how you keep the Nitrates low*. If you find that your Nitrates nearing, say 30-40 ppm (corrections welcome), you should increase the % and/or frequency of PWCs. If you find the Ammonia or Nitrates higher than zero (assuming the tank has had sufficient time to cycle properly), then you may need to increase/adjust your filtration such that more tank water moves over more bio-material.

Regular PWCs are always beneficial for any fish's overall health, including (but not limited to) growth, breeding, and the ability to fend off illnesses, etc.

That all being said, take heed Garfy's advise on tank size, though.

*I hear that some aerobic bacteria actually break down Nitrates. If in fact that is true, It's still not a replacement for regular PWCs.

Stop replacing all the TH words with D and you may get some more credited help. People like Lab65000 are nice and thinking about the fish, but to me, cutting everything down comes across as not caring. Anyway, listen to Garfy and Lab, good info

Back
Top Bottom