Need suggestions for clean up crew

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarred Darque

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I am still setting up the 29 gallon, it has about 10-12 of my 20 lbs of live rock from my 10 gallon, a domino damsel, also from the 10 gallon, about 4 hermits, 2 nessarius, 1 common reef snail, and a a....... soemthing snail...cone shaped..cant flip over..that guy yeah.

Anyways, I am already having problems with brown algae (diatoms I guess?) I use Instant Ocean salt, I have read on these boards that isnt the best, but I have yet to locate anything else for sale locally, will continue to look (what are some suggestions there) I also have a camel shrimp atm.

I tested the tank a few days ago, it was showing just a little bit of NH4 and NO2 (between 0 and the next color on the master test kit) and I think about 10-15 ppm NO3.

ATM I am not doing weekly water changes, am doing bi-weekly since the only fish is about an inch long in a 29 gallon tank, and I am tryin to get the cycle over.

Once I get some more lights (am using 20 watts of T5, am wanting 130W PC w/ actinic)

Anyways, what can I do right now prolly cleaning crew wise, to get rid of the brown algae? the tank is only lightly fed flakes every day or two, they are normally all gone within a couple of minutes.

Diatoms are a normal part of the cycling tank. They will usually burn themselves out once the nurtrient source is gone. Give it some time. In the mean time, go ahead and clean the glass if you want. Let your tank cycle completely before adding any more livestock.

ok. the cycle should be done ina few days if it isnt already. The rock was already cured, I have had it for amore than a few months, and was cured before I got it.

I do need to add the rest of the live rock soon, and what little cleaning crew I left in my tank, 3 nessarius snails and like 2 hermits \

I would add the rock now, and test to make sure you are not getting any die-off. I would wait on moving your clean up crew until the cycle is complete. If you are seeing diatoms, as stated above, they should be gone in a day or two.

After your cycle is complete I would go with different types of snails. I have hermits in my tank but I don't think I would put them in there if I had it to do over. Snails tend to do a better job IMO. Though the hermits are fun to watch.

Back
Top Bottom