Need Super Help With Cycling!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softmushroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Dear Community,
I'm really new to the aquarium hobby and been wanting to start for awhile. So I finally did and started to do a Fish-less Cycle, I added some pure Ace Janitor Ammonia Strength, and started yesterday.

My Ammonia levels - 8.0 ppm
My pH levels - 8.4-8.8
My Nitrite level - 0

What should I do? Any suggestions? My tank is a little bit cloudy/milky for awhile. I'm guessing this is a bacteria bloom?

Should I add some Seachem Stability?

Id change out at least half that water and get the Ammonia closer to 4ppm. I think when its that high it can stall out your cycle. That white cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom, but the bacteria in those clouds are a different strain than what you're trying to cultivate.

I wouldn't even bother taking Nitrite readings for another week, possibly two.

Keep in mind that that it takes roughly 4 weeks to cycle your tank unless you're using some pre-established biological filter media. I haven't had much success with the bottled bacteria, but some folks swear by it.
Turning up the heater can help speed your cycle along some, but just remember to turn it down and let the water cool before adding your fish.

Here's something to read (if you haven't already):
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Id change out at least half that water and get the Ammonia closer to 4ppm. I think when its that high it can stall out your cycle. That white cloudiness could be a bacterial bloom, but the bacteria in those clouds are a different strain than what you're trying to cultivate.

I wouldn't even bother taking Nitrite readings for another week, possibly two.

Keep in mind that that it takes roughly 4 weeks to cycle your tank unless you're using some pre-established biological filter media. I haven't had much success with the bottled bacteria, but some folks swear by it.
Turning up the heater can help speed your cycle along some, but just remember to turn it down and let the water cool before adding your fish.

Here's something to read (if you haven't already):
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

I actually borrowed some water from a tank at my local fish store, he was super helpful and nice. I just added some Seachem stability after reading some forums a few mins ago. Should I change my water still or just wait out for a few days and see what happens? My heater temp is ~85F right now.

Its up to you. Like I said, I've never had much luck with bottled bacteria.. and the water you got from your LFS isn't going to really have all that much beneficial bacteria.

I guess if you're getting results after a few days, then you'll know that the Stability is working. If not, then you can just do the PWC to lower it that way.

Its up to you. Like I said, I've never had much luck with bottled bacteria.. and the water you got from your LFS isn't going to really have all that much beneficial bacteria.

I guess if you're getting results after a few days, then you'll know that the Stability is working. If not, then you can just do the PWC to lower it that way.
Hmm what if nothing really happens within a few days? Should I just dump all my water, clean out the bottom of my substrate/sand and just start all over?

Hmm what if nothing really happens within a few days? Should I just dump all my water, clean out the bottom of my substrate/sand and just start all over?

Definitely not! The substrate is where a lot of bacteria live. Right now you just need to wait and test daily. It sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what to do. :)

If your ammonia is still super high after 5-7 days, then I'd do a PWC to get it lower. You dont need to start from scratch though.

Back
Top Bottom