Neon die off.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martiniduck

Aquarium Advice Activist
My daughter wanted to change the color of her gravel in her 10 gallon tank. I removed the old gravel. I washed the new gravel thoroughly with lots of running water. The tank has been operational for over a year, so it has been cycled. I run a penguin biowheel 150. I did a 40% pwc at the time. This is the day after I changed the gravel. I tested the water with an API Master kit all the numbers are fine. Ammonia=0, Nitrate=10, Nitrite=0. They are the size of the neons, about a 1/4 inch in length. The water has a very fishy smell now, it is a little cloudy, and my last 2 neons died off. I am assuming the cloudiness from from the gravel. The rest of the fish seem fine. I have 3 guppies, and 3 mollies in the tank. Two if the Mollies are very young and small. The neons have been in this tank for about 6 months and I have had no problems with them. I had 5 of them at the start. Should i be worried, or is this normal.

I don't have a ton of experience with Neons, but sometimes just a lot of change can overwhelm a fish so greatly it can even pass.

i would aim more towards a mini cycle. I would double check your kit and make sure it is reading right (add some pure ammonia to some tap water in a bucket to make sure it reads). The fish smell along with cloudiness sounds like a bacteria bloom imo.

I was thinking the same thing that is why I did the water test. I guess I can give it another testing. I did not change the media in the filters and I did a 40% PWC, so I didn't think there would be that much of a disturbance in the cycle. Do you recommend another PWC?

Just stirring up the substrate can cause a mini cycle I believe. If it was my tank, I would do another 20-50% pwc, just to be safe. :)

Didn't I hear someone say that tetras were really sensitive to changes in ammonia? Every time I start a new tank or clean a tank out "too well" I get cloudy water, which I have been told is a bacteria bloom. I am on day 8 of cycling a 5 gal and the cloudy water came when the nitrites went up.

Yes, i would do lots of water changes, maybe 50% every day or two for the next week or so just to be certain you have excellent water quality

Back
Top Bottom