Neon Plague

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquastrategist

Aquarium Advice Freak
In the past day,5 of my 12 neons died with no visual external bumps or whiteness. The living hover around at the bottom akwardly, and my rainbowfish, angels, brass and skirt tetras are all fine. Temp is good, feeding and tankmates are fine, I don't know what it is. Water movement and water changes are also fine. I have added a knew peice if driftwood, and I'm wondering if this is it. My neons always hide around it, and the driftwood has been boiled in the sink first. Please help?!?!

ForumRunner_20130330_171555.jpg

Driftwood piece

ForumRunner_20130330_171610.jpg
Whole tank (50 gallons)

So I'm going to ask what always gets asked . . . what are your ammonia, nitrites, nitrates readings? How long have you had the fish? Any new ones added recently?

Aaand, I'm going to ask you a few more. 1)did you find the bodies? 2) this isn't really a question, but rather a statement. Neon's are not very hardy fish. I had 4 of mine die when I put my new peice of drift wood in, even after boiling it for 3 days and soaking it in tank water for about an hour before putting it in.

They could of got sucked in a filter or power head. One of my tetras did in my 55g Malawi tank

Too late now, their all dead. I haven't added new fish in at least a month, and I found most of them. My test readings are
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
No chlorine
Hard water
Alkalinity 180
Ph 7.2

I'm sry but I read "bass" in your post. Was that a mistype?

Edit: lmao I misread it!! I see you wrote brass. Omg I'm crying laughing. I was like " o my god! BASS! Hahaha

Last edited:
Too late now, their all dead. I haven't added new fish in at least a month, and I found most of them. My test readings are
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
No chlorine
Hard water
Alkalinity 180
Ph 7.2

So sorry about that. Did you test for ammonia? Had you done anything with the filter media recently? Sorry for the questions but trying to help figure it out to prevent any further problems.

Ammonia was fine, I rinsed out the filter about two weeks before. I think it may have been the driftwood I just added, but all other fish are fine. O well, now I have room for more :D

Back
Top Bottom