Neon Tetra Disease?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelbaker79

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It was extremely hard to get a photo, but here's what I came up with:

ForumRunner_20120106_223931.jpg

ForumRunner_20120106_223953.jpg
Obviously, you can see which one it is. His tail is turning white, looks like his tail fin is rotting, trouble swimming and the now white part of the tail is "swollen". He was fine this morning, or if he wasn't, I missed it because it wasn't SO noticeable.

What do you think? And if that is what it is, there is no cure, correct?

BTW, these neons are in a quarantine tank. My fiance brought them home from petsmart last week, he's a little fish dumb, Hehe. Half of them had Ich so I am treating for that, all signs of Ich are gone now, just this problem currently.

Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates 20
Temp 84-86(Ich treatment)
20 gallon

kelbaker79 said:
It was extremely hard to get a photo, but here's what I came up with:

Obviously, you can see which one it is. His tail is turning white, looks like his tail fin is rotting, trouble swimming and the now white part of the tail is "swollen". He was fine this morning, or if he wasn't, I missed it because it wasn't SO noticeable.

What do you think? And if that is what it is, there is no cure, correct?

I can't see it well in the photo, but if it loks like it's rotting maybe he has tail rot disease? Pet co was very helpful for when my fish had it. They could tell u what medicine you need to help him. They were very helpful when my fish had it.

In my tank I have a school of about 12 neons plus many other fish. I have not had many problems with my neons and I make sure that along with flakes they get micro pellets to eat.

Well anyways let me say neons are tricky cause they are easy to care for but delicate.

"Disease
Unfortunately, neon tetras are occasionally afflicted by the so-called "Neon Tetra Disease" (NTD) or Pleistophora, a sporozoan disease caused by Pleistophora hyphessobryconis. Despite being a well-known condition, it is currently incurable and often fatal to the fish.
The disease cycle begins when microsporidian parasite spores enter the fish after it consumes infected material such as the bodies of a dead fish, or live food such as tubifex, which may serve as intermediate hosts. The disease is most likely to be passed on from newly acquired fish, which have not been quarantined.
Symptoms:
  1. Restlessness.
  2. Fish begins to lose coloration.
  3. As cysts develop, the body may become lumpy.
  4. Fish has difficulty swimming.
  5. In advanced cases the spine may become curved.
  6. Secondary infections such as fin rot and bloating.
Note that there is a so-called "false neon disease", which is bacterial, and shows very similar symptoms. It is impossible for the home aquarist to determine for certain the difference between NTD and false NTD on the basis of visible symptoms alone, without laboratory backup. This disease has also been confused with Columnaris (mouth rot, mouth fungus, 'flex').
To date, there is no known cure: the only 'treatment' is the immediate removal of diseased fish to preserve the remaining fish, but no way to save the diseased fish. The use of a diatom filter, which can reduce the number of free parasites in the water, may help." - Wikipedia Neon tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now one thing with neons that people will notice is that in the morning when lights are first turned on a lot of fish including neons will be pail. Withing about 15 minutes there color will be brighter and in about 30 minutes the color will be very bright and healthy looking. This is normal.

" Their colour and the iridescent stripe may become dim at night, and can be virtually invisible after a period of darkness. The color may also fade during a period of stress, such as human intervention into the tank. Neons are best kept in a densely planted tank with subdued light and an ideal temperature of 21–27 °C (70–81 °F) to resemble their native Amazon environment." - Wikipedia Neon tetra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom