Neon Tetra Eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fanatic

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I am new to this site. I started a 20gal back in the summer and I have 3 zebra danios, 3 neon tetras, 2 sunset platys, and one albino cory cat. I came home from work today to find a bunch of white adhesive balls attached to one of the plastic plants in the tank. There is around 25 eggs. I took the plastic plant out of the 20g and put it in a 5g, so no more eggs would become dinner.

So what i am trying to say is...what do i do next?

Thanks in advance.

Lets start by seeing if the eggs are from the neons. Can you post a picture of them to identify them. They could be snail eggs, if you have any snails in your tank.

The only fish I have in the tank, are the ones the stated above. I know they can not be danios because they are adhesive. But I didnt realize that they could also be unfertilized cory cat eggs. So i guess i will just have to wait and see.

Posting your tank pH, temp, and hardness might help. Neons are known to breed in softer water, so if you have quite soft water then there is a good chance it's neon eggs. Remember to start an infusoria culture so that the babies have something to eat! (might be too late to start one actually, they take about a week to develop)

If the eggs are of any size, it is probably cory eggs. I have sen a female cory lay eggs when she was alone in a tank.

Yeah, none of the eggs became fertilized, so I put the plant with the eggs on it back into the tank to give the danios a treat.

BUT today after doing a partial water change, noticed a little red platy baby. I hope he/she survives.

Does anyone know how big they are to where other fish wont eat them?

Thanks!

That all depends on the size of your other fish and how much hiding places you have for them. My personal (and probably most expensive) option is to have a small (2.5 uk gal) tank set up (sponge filter + heater) and raise them in there. Guppies being guppies, babies are always present in the tank and I just catch them in a glass and drop them in the wee tank. Probably about 35 in there including 3 Balloon Molly babies.

Generally speaking, unless you have really good coverage or small caves, they'll get eaten. They have to eat and venturing out will be dangerous for them. I got my babies in late November and the biggest one is about a centimeter and a half right now, so not that large.

You can always alternatively get a floating baby holder to put on the side of your tank.

Back
Top Bottom