Neon Tetra issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldenPlecTony

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello people,

I noticed this morning 1 of my neon tetras has a baige coloured lump on its mouth. I cant get a pic as it wont stop still. Has anyone had the same issue before? Any advice available?

I have 6 in a 90L long tank, along with 2 mollies, 1 Betta, 4 Corys, 1 Danio and 2 ghost shrimp.

2 Filters, Ammonia = 0, Nitrites = 0, PH = 7.6, Nitrates = 40 (Realise this isnt perfect but im working on it with reduced food and adding plants)

Think its worth adding 6 more neons as they group together in the plants and dont seem to move till they are fed? Thinking another 6 might make them feel more comfortable.

Thanks

43095-albums2142-picture15097.html

Got it

Looks like a fungal infection. Seeing how neons are sensitive I can see how it got that. I'd do some PWC and see if that helps. I don't know any meds that could help it though, sorry :(

It could be cotton mouth, aka columnaris, a bacterial infection itself, but looks similar to the fungal types, I had this issue with two diamond tetra and I treated the tank with API Pima fix. The one with the "zit" on it's mouth cleared up nicely, the other one was a little further into it, an I think his mouth is now scarred from it, but both are happy again. If you have the possibility of a hospital tank, that could mean you separate him from the group and only medicate him, but chances are if he got it, the others could be stressed out enough to catch it as well. I opted to treat my entire tank and it seemed to work. The pic is of my one with the bump, this shot does no show it being white, but it was, it is just below his mouth

Attachments

• image-2263813185.jpg
    image-2263813185.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 67
To get nitrates down to should do water changes; that's the only way nitrates leave the aquarium. Live plants would help, but with nitrates climbing like that you should up your water change schedule and amount. Also clean water can help replace minerals the fish need and can help curb diseases that dirty water can contribute to.

Besides getting your nitrates down (which you should do), Ive herd a lot of good things about Pimafix and fungal infections. I am currently using Melafix for a bit of fin rot on one of my GBRs and its working perfectly. I would give Pimafix a shot, you can dose the whole tank and it wont affect the other fish or the bio filter.

Back
Top Bottom