Neon Tetra Strife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Korwin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Fish Experts!

So, in my 5.5 gallon tank at my office, I have 4 neon tetras and 3 harlequin rasboras. The neons have been in the tank for about 3 weeks, and I just got the rasboras yesterday. Those guys are fun little fish!

Everything seemed fine yesterday when I acclimated the rasboras. The rasboras seem to really be enjoying themselves, but now the neons are fighting with each other.

One has parked itself in the cabomba-looking fake plant that I have in there, and if one of the other neons go near it, it nips at it. :confused: It leaves the rasboras alone.

A few times, the scuffle has gone across the tank, and the rasboras kind of jump in and break it up, then go back to playing in the filter current (I told you they were fun :))

Any ideas?

Thanks.

It's probably stress-induced agression.

You are overstocking the tank.

If you want to keep that many fish, you need either a larger tank or a second tank.

I have to concur. You'd actually be better off with a school of either Neons or HRs. Not a small number of both.

And I agree, Harlequin Rasboras are a wonderful spritely fish. You should see mine when I'm doing a PWC. I create a huge current using the siphon and the flock to it. And lately, the otos have joined in.

Thank you.

So, yeah. I kinda screwed this one up.

Would I be better off moving things up to a 10 gallon? If I do this, would it be better to get another neon or two (to make them more comfy with a school) and possibly another HR or two? Or would I be putting my self in the same situation (overstocked) except with a larger tank?

So, assuming I got the 10 gallon it would be

-6 neons
-5 rasboras

Or should I see if I can return some fish and forget about having 2 species in a tank together?

The FW rule of thumb is an inch of adult fish per gallon. You can push those limits with excellent filtration, frequent water changes, and fish that like each other alot, such as a single species school.

Assuming you're talking Diamond Head Neon Tetra
(Paracheirodon innesi) then maximum adult size will be 2.5 inches.

Harlequin Rasbora (Rasbora heteromorpha) grows to 2"

So, no. Don't add more fish if you move to the 10 gallon. I would either move to a 10 gallon with the existing fish, or return one of the two species.

With a tank that small (IMO) you are better off with a single species, but others may disagree. It's down to preference.

In a 10g you could safely have up to 6 neons OR up to 5 Harlequin Rasboras.

Also, 2.5 inches for a neon seems quite big to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that adult size would be around 3cm (or 1.25 inches). Maybe 1.5 inches at best. If it were me, I'd say you could have up to 8 neons in a 10g, but that would the the limit and I would maintain the tank as if I was overstocked just to be on the safe side.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that adult size would be around 3cm (or 1.25 inches). Maybe 1.5 inches at best.
I was just copying down liveaquaria's numbers. They sell another of the same species name that's labeled "Jumbo" neons, so it may not be the same species you commonly find in the pet store.

Thanks everyone!

They are the "jumbo" model of neons, so they're not going to be getting that big.

I was talking to my wife last night, and she said "Well, why don't you just get a 10 gallon and we'll find a place here for the neons. Then you can keep the rasboras at work

So thats the new plan. They're both getting they're own homes. I might try to talk my boss into a 10 gallon tank, but I'm just running out of room on the desk.

Thanks again!

Don't get jumbo neons and cardinals mixed up. I had 4 neons in my 10g for a while and they would school every so often. Now that I have upped the number to 6 they are always together and make the tank look great. Every time someone comes over they always say look at those blue and red ones they all swim together!!!

I would separate the neons and rasboras and add a few more of each if it was me. I kind of feel that neons are not big waste producers and they don't follow the inch of fish per gallon rule. Thats not to say you can throw 20 in a 10g though.

Back
Top Bottom