Neon Tetras and Harlequin Rasboras Spawning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yelle0277

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have recently set up our first aquarium, adding many plants, 10 Teon Tetras, and 5 Harlequin Rasboras. Although my tank is still cycling the plants have helped to keep the water parameters pretty good. Currently Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0 and Nitrates 10. I have my tank sectioned off into a higher light area with moderate light plants and an area with several floating plants and low light plants combined with a few artifical plants. It seems as though for the past few days all of my fish have been spawning around the plants in the low light area. I have not been able to see any eggs, but I'm not sure that I would be able to see them since all the fish are so small.

Although I know that the chances of actually getting any fry are very slim, I have made a divider to keep the fish away from the eggs/fry. But I have not yet put it up because it seems like the fish are always over there spawning. I'm pretty sure they are over there spawning and not eating the eggs becuase the are always turning upside down, rubbing against the leaves, shimmying next to each other etc.

I'm wondering if the eggs/fry will have a better chance if I just put the divider up even though they still want to spawn, or if I should wait until the spawing activity has stopped and then put the divider up. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Update: OK Now I know they are spawing I just watched two of the rasboras drop about 5-10 eggs. Light brown...

yelle0277 said:
Update: OK Now I know they are spawing I just watched two of the rasboras drop about 5-10 eggs. Light brown...

So I found tetras eggs and managed to get them into a breeder box before they were gobbled up. We'll see what happens with them...

Advice on feeding babies:

Take a small tub and put a piece of banana, potato or something in it. Leave it in the light (but not direct sunlight) for a week. After this you should see tiny infusoria in the tub. These can be used to feed baby Neons. Also, baby brine shrimp or tiny daphnia can be useful. Neon fry are not very free swimming initially, so the less movement they undertake the better.

Also, the babies, once free swimming, might be able to fit through the small slats on the breeder box, so be careful. If they swim out they might not swim back. Maybe your absolute safest bet would be to surround the box in very, very fine mesh.

I've never bred neon's but I've wanted to. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the advice on making foodnfor the fry. Unfortunately I think I killed the eggs before they ever had a chance. I wanted to get a good photo of them so I adjusted my strongest light right over them and shortly after they turned solid white and then nothing... I later read that Tetras eggs are very photosensitive and the eggs should be incubated in the dark... live and learn I guess : -)

Back
Top Bottom