neon tetras being aggressive, help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny H.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I think I got some bad advice at the lfs yesterday. I have a 15 gallon tank. 6 neon tetras, 2 guppies and a leopard cory. I went to buy a gravel vac and was talking to the woman who works there. When she asked me about aquarium salt and i told her i'd never used it she was shocked and told me how bad i needed it. While I was there i bought a dward african frog. So i came home, vac'd my gravel, did a 50% water change. conditioned the water, used bio boost, and added salt. Well this morning the frog was dead, and my neon tetras mouths are constantly gasping and are being aggressive toward each other! well 2 of them are bullying the other 4. I need help!

Salt will pull water from the body of the frogs. Basically dying from dehydration while being underwater...

I would not recommend using aquarium salt in a tank with frogs OR tetras as tetras are very sensative to it...

I would do a large water change to help rid the water of the salt and avoid using it in the tank again.

I did a 50% water change this morning as soon as I noticed it. Should I do another? ammonia 0 nitrite 2.0 nitrate 0.

salt wont go away with water changes and my tetras are fine with salt

You probably want to do something like 25% every other day until you feel safe that it is gone...A little left won't hurt too much but better safe than sorry if they are acting up

salt wont go away with water changes and my tetras are fine with salt

The salt will be lessened with each water change...taste the water that comes out of the tank. It will be salty (please don't actually drink the water)...replace and it will slowly dilute the saltiness. It will be impossible to completely rid the tank 100% but if she dosed too much or the neons simply don't have the tolerance yours do it will be beneficial in the long run.

I see that aquarium salt come up in a lot of American aquarium discussions. Why is that? Over here in the Netherlands it's only the brackish that mess with it.

wijnands said:
I see that aquarium salt come up in a lot of American aquarium discussions. Why is that? Over here in the Netherlands it's only the brackish that mess with it.

Aquarium salt can be used to aid healing in wounded fish.

Some people add a small amount with every water change, some swear by it, others don't see the need...

There's that of course, I know it's part of ich treatment. What it's supposed to do as a standard addition to your water?

Some people think it helps produce thicker slime coats which help keep fish protected better...I think it can cause overproduction and stress out fish for no reason...

Here in U.S.A it's mostly used as a gimmick to sell salt at petcos and petsmart. Other than helping with certain diseases I find it useless for sweet water setups.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom