Neon tetras missing an eye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua315

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought some new fish last night including three neon tetras to bring my school up to eight. Everything looked fine last night and the new ones were schooling with my old tetras but this morning I noticed two of the new ones swimming really close to the top of the tank and staying up there. Upon closer inspection it looks like both of them are missing an eye. Other than the eye, they look perfectly healthy. The other new tetra is still fine swimming near the bottom and schooling with the others. My water params are fine and my stock is listed in my sig. What could have caused this?

Hi aqua315,

You most likely bought them that way but just didn't notice. What other fishes were in the dealers tank along with the neons?

David

Sorry to hear.

If you want to satisfy your curiosity just go back to the fish store and look at the remaining tetras to see if there are others with missing eyes.

David

I have a neon that lost an eye, and I suspect it was either my ram or another neon did it. The only reason why I suspect it may have been another neon is that I do see other neons sometimes chasing little one-eye around. Thankfully he's managed to survive for quite some time now though.

Back
Top Bottom