Neon Tetras. The Mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MantisX

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im having problems with my neon tetras. I bought 10 of them a day and a half ago, and in that time 3 have died. All my parameters are normal and the gold rams are having a great time in there. Is it just this just the way these fish are? They school every now and then, and when they arent most of them are at the top of the water or in the plants. The plants are bubbling some kind of crazy so it shouldnt be an oxygen problem? If possible Id at least like to figure out if its normal for them to die off like that or if its something I did.

If these are known kill overs, what are some "tougher" nice looking schooling fish that are small enough for a 10 gallon?

This is pretty typical with Neon Tetras, there have been a bunch of threads in the past discussing this. Poor Neons :?

I believe the fish you're looking for are Glow-light tetras. IMO, they're hardier neons with a slight color difference. They're gold with a red strip. Otherwise they're about the same size, and appear to be much hardier. I have 7 in my 29 gallon that have survived 2 major ammonia spikes, where neons would have certainly died.

On the other hand, I've quite successfully been keeping 5 neons in a 3 gallon tank on my desk here at work. The tank is planted though so that might be a contributing factor.

Well, my second choice would be rummynose and this other fish I saw at the lfs. It has a yellow and black top fin, and the rest of him is silver. My water is soft at about 6.8 PH. But I read up on the neons and theyre not supposed to mind that. If I can confirm that rummynose can survive, I guess ill give those a go. Although, they are very high at my lfs. Theyre like 2 dollars and some change each. Is that a ripoff? I dont remember seeing any glowlight tetras in there, but if they are tougher, those are an option too.

I know glow-lights are available at Petsmart, for under $2. I can't make any claims for other chains or stores though. Petlands and Petcos should have them though.

You could also try raspboras. They are very hardy, are a schooling fish, and stay small as with the neons. There colors are very pretty with red/bluish/grey bodys and a black stripe down the middles, I think they are prettier than neons :) I have about 7 or 8 in my 55 and they look awesome schooling together!

Cool Devilish. Do you have any pics of them? The neons looked cool schooling too until they started dying off :( Out of 10, today there are 4 left. I wont stop until I find a nice hardy schooling fish, so tot he petmobile!!

MantisX...

I'm not sure, but I think the Rasbora that Devilishturtles is referring to is the Red-Tailed Rasbora (Brilliant Rasbora, Magnificent Rasbora), Rasbora borapetensis. They are very hardy though they do get a bit bigger than Neon Tetras. There is a picture with the link below but I'll tell you right now that the picture doesn't do justice to the fish. I've got 6 R. borapetensis in my tank now and they are absolute little gems!!

http://homepages.tesco.net/~davyreynolds/fishindex/fish/R/rasbora_borapetensis.htm

There are other Rasboras you might also consider. The Harlequin Rasbora, Rasbora heteromorpha, is another very nice choice. They look a lot different than a Neon Tetra but, in a school, they're also very beautiful. Here's a link for the Harlequin Rasbora:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/grasbora.html

Yes, I have the raspbora hetermorphas, there is quite a difference in the two, sorry :roll:

They really are beautiful and I recommend them over neon tetras any day! The males are prettier I think and are a bright red color, but the variations change quite a bit in the color of each. While I have yet to see them in my local petsmart, the local wal-mart carries them and I have had excellent luck with them.

Good luck on your decision!

I think both of the rasboras mentioned above are beautiful! I was just looking at them today at the LFS, as a possibility for my empty 10 gal. They are so colourful, and I like the way they move.

Nice Pics Fruit. Size isnt really too much of an issue, I just dont want 20 or so huge fish schooling around taking attention away from the smaller rams and glass space :D I figure after they get so big, it would almost look overcrowded. Would you say their full size is about that of a fully grown ram?

Hmm Wal-Mart, I forgot all about their tanks. I had a hard time in the past trusting their water quality/fish quality. They also didnt get in too much of a variety. Are they monopolizing on the fish market too or are they about the same price as the LFS?

Raspbora Hetermorhas max out out about 1 inch to 1.5 inches, but I have had mine for about 7-8 months now and they are still maybe 1/2 inch, 3/4 inch big?

As for wal-mart, I work in the pet department at a local wal-mart store and I personally think that it is good, although I have heard horror stories of other people's experiences. Not speaking for everyone, but we test out water twice a week and quarantine sick fish when we can.

Price wise, everybody buys low and sells high, but IMO prices their prices are cheaper then most LFS 's in my area. So check it out, if you don't feel comfortable, I wouldn't buy from them.

Platylady...

Rasboras of pretty much any type are great fish to keep. While you're thinking about it...consider the Scissortail Rasbora, Rasbora trilineata, as well. They're not the most colorful fish on the planet but they're very personable and it is really interesting the way they flick the upper and lower lobes of their tails so that they look like scissors opening and closing. They do get a bit larger than the others mentioned, however. Up to 6 inches...though I've never seen any that large. Here is a link to a picture of the Scissortail Rasbora. I've got to say that the picture is of an exceptional fish!
http://www.aquazoo.co.uk/page.cfm/Type=Fish/ID=359 <----CUT AND PASTE THIS LINK OR IT WON'T WORK

Some Rasboras that I'd REALLY like to find are:

Red Scissortail Rasbora or Giant Scissortail, Rasbora caudimaculata. They also get to about 6 inches...but I think they're absolutely stunning!! Check out the link below:
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/rasbora_caudimac.htm

Red-Striped Rasbora/ Glowlight Rasbora,Rasbora pauciperforata. Another small one...in good condition it is the equal or better of the Glowline Tetra. Here it is:
http://aquaworld.netfirms.com/Cyprinoidae/Rasbora/Rasbora_pauciperforata.htm

Clown Rasbora, Rasbora kalochroma. Gorgeous moderate-sized Rasbora when in good condition.
http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/carp/cyprinidae/rasbora/kalochroma_e.html

Mosquito Rasbora, Boraras brigittae. This is the one I REALLY WANT!!! It is a dwarf Rasbora that really shines!!
http://www.aquajapan.com/encyc/carp/cyprinidae/boraras/brigittae.html

Rasboras aren't all that commonly kept in the United States, unfortunately, so the lfs usually don't get them in. They're much more popular in Europe and Asia.

Fruitbat said:
Platylady...

While you're thinking about it...consider the Scissortail Rasbora, Rasbora trilineata, as well. They're not the most colorful fish on the planet but they're very personable and it is really interesting the way they flick the upper and lower lobes of their tails so that they look like scissors opening and closing. They do get a bit larger than the others mentioned, however. Up to 6 inches...though I've never seen any that large. Here is a link to a picture of the Scissortail Rasbora. I've got to say that the picture is of an exceptional fish!

I like the tail on these alot. I think I like them more than neons. With the yellow tails like that, the effect would be awesome!

Back
Top Bottom