Neons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaplanner

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ow many neons can fit in a 10 gallon, I want to lay out my options and see which are best! Thanks!:)

I only want neons so how many or would 6 tiger bars do fine instead?

Personally I would go with the Tiger Barbs just because IME they are much more active. I would say 6 would be fine in a 10g as long as you say that they will be the only fish in there. I would definitely get some low light plants in there though.

The filter is rated 30 gallons and a fluval canister, but don't know the model! With the overpowered filters, could I add one bn pleco from my other tank or add 3 cories?

aquaplanner said:
The filter is rated 30 gallons and a fluval canister, but don't know the model! With the overpowered filters, could I add one bn pleco from my other tank or add 3 cories?

No they won't nip the leaves. That's not their food range really.

I definitely wouldn't add a BN Pleco to the mix. Perhaps the Cprydoras. I'd like someone to check me though. I may be gravely overestimating a 10g.

Im thinking about adding 3 albino cories and 6 tiger barbs for my overrated filtered 10 gallon

Upon further investigation. I'd go with Neon Tetras over Tiger Barbs. This is because Tigers are too active really for a 10g. I'd get maybe 6-8 Neon Tetras with a planted tank. See how they do. Consider, only consider, looking into a Dwarf specie of Corydoras.

Id rather get the barba because they're more hardy while the neons are picky on water conditions!:(

What about a 20 gallon for 6 tiger barbs and 2 bn plecos with overrated filters of course, I'm thinking about growing java ferns and anubius with some snails and ghost shrimp!:) I may get the 20 gallon but planning to get a tank for tiger babes because they're so interesting to me.

aquaplanner said:
What about a 20 gallon for 6 tiger barbs and 2 bn plecos with overrated filters of course, I'm thinking about growing java ferns and anubius with some snails and ghost shrimp!:) I may get the 20 gallon but planning to get a tank for tiger babes because they're so interesting to me.

Neons have actually become a little bit hardier n recent years. Hardier than Cardinals a least.

In a 20g (depending on if standard on long) you cold do the Barbs. And 1 of the Plecos I wold think.

Ghost Shrimp may get harassed/eaten but aren't they like 20 cents a piece?

Which would be best for the stock, standard or long and how many more barbs can I add? I don't mind the ghost shrimp since they're cheap and a gods part of their diet!;)

aquaplanner said:
Which would be best for the stock, standard or long and how many more barbs can I add? I don't mind the ghost shrimp since they're cheap and a gods part of their diet!;)

A 20g long provides a better footprint, aka swim room, for the barbs so I would suggest that over a standard. Again, I'd start with your 6 Barbs and see how the tank reacts. Then adjust accordingly.

IMHO a bn pleco would limit the amount of other fish in the tank because of the huge bio load they carry. I would say get 7 barbs and then get 4 panda cories if the water parameters are good. I think that is enough for a 20. TBs are very active fish and have you seen a full grown tiger barb? They get to be bigger than you would think.

With water changes every other day, could I add my bnp, it means a lot to me!

IMO, neither neons or TB's would work in a 10 gal. Neons are small but very active and require more swim room than a 10 gal can provide. TB's are a good sized fish and are aggressive so they need larger numbers and more room than a 10 gal has. A 20 gal is better but still not ideal; a large shoal of TB's would stock that tank with no room left. TB's need swimming room and large numbers; a 20 gal isn't really ideal for what you want.

You might want to check out cherry barbs; You could probably do a school of those and maybe some small corys (pandas, pygmaeus, hastus or hasbrosus). If you really want the TBs and your pleco get a larger tank than a 20 :)

Also is this your first tank? Do you know about cycling? http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium-186089.html

Last edited:
aquaplanner said:
Well would the 29 gallon kit work?

Look into a 40 breeder. You'll have a better footprint. I think a standard 29g is the same footprint as the 20 long.

Back
Top Bottom