Nervous about getting a GBR?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Are german blue rams as finicky as their reputation says? They are so beautiful, and I'd like to add one to my 20 gallon long tank wih 8 neon tetras and 3 platy, but not if it's going to die. I do have a good filter, and do 35-40% water changes every week. What do you think?

If I don't get the GBR I'll probably go with a Bolivian.

PH? Hardness?

generally they like acidic water, but as long as your water parameters are constant you shouldn't have much trouble.

I had a beautiful GBR for about 2 weeks. Against my better judgement I got him from a lfs (instead of a private breeder like everyone recommended). He did absolutely wonderful for the first week...then just changed. He stopped eating, he hid in the back of the tank and eventually died :-(. My water was pristine, all fish were compatible, there was no injury or sickness...he just died. Through research, I know many of them are just poor stock and die off easily. I would either highly recommend looking at the hardier (and also beautiful) Bolivian Rams, or find a trusted breeder if you did want a GBR.

If you did decide to go with a Bolivian instead, I just got an absolutely stunning male from Severum Mama last week. I super highly recommend her (as everyone else on the site does too). You could PM her and ask if she still has any :)

If you did decide to go with a Bolivian instead, I just got an absolutely stunning male from Severum Mama last week. I super highly recommend her (as everyone else on the site does too). You could PM her and ask if she still has any :)

Thanks for the tip. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you? I had a bolivian a while a go but she was very plain. Did she ship, and was it expensive?

Tropical said:
Thanks for the tip. You wouldn't happen to have a picture would you? I had a bolivian a while a go but she was very plain. Did she ship, and was it expensive?

I haven't taken a pic yet, but I can get one later. His fins are very dark black and his orange and pink colors are getting more vibrant by the day. He's also been elected the adopted leader of my Red Eye Tetras, lol. They follow him around the tank and have formed a very active, albeit odd school, haha.

Yep, he was shipped and was very reasonably priced. I live in VA and she's in GA, so it may be more expensive if you live further away.

I haven't taken a pic yet, but I can get one later. His fins are very dark black and his orange and pink colors are getting more vibrant by the day. He's also been elected the adopted leader of my Red Eye Tetras, lol. They follow him around the tank and have formed a very active, albeit odd school, haha.

Yep, he was shipped and was very reasonably priced. I live in VA and she's in GA, so it may be more expensive if you live further away.

Thanks, I'm a little further up in PA, but I'll definately look into it.

Tropical said:
Thanks, I'm a little further up in PA, but I'll definately look into it.

For sure the GBR are beautiful, IMO nicer that the Bolivian, but also I heard a lot of comments about mysterious deaths with them.

But not impossible, you will never know if you don't try!! Just , as Eco said, be aware of their reputation.

I bought 2 last saturday. 1 just died today, but the other is doing okay so far. He's still pale, but he's been eating, which is a good sign. Hopefully he lives, since I like him.

I got a gbr last week from PetSupermarket and is doing great so far, swimming eating and is a good tankmate, I have tetras, platies, Glofish etc.
I have a thread here with a pic when I got it.
I hope he stays alive because I cant wait for it to grow and see all the pretty colors :) Buy the German they are prettier and safe for tetras etc

Now I'm thinking of getting a GBR because my LFS has a 30 day policy. If he dies within 30 days I can get a refund, and then I'll probably order a Bolivian.

Tropical said:
Now I'm thinking of getting a GBR because my LFS has a 30 day policy. If he dies within 30 days I can get a refund, and then I'll probably order a Bolivian.

I hope it works out :). My lfs had a policy too but I didn't bother going back. My wife had become really attached to him so he went straight to the rose garden. You still may want to check the classifieds of this site and see if any respected members breed them. I would also recommend drip acclimating him just to be on the safe side. Its usually not necessary, but I've started drip acclimating all my fish and have decided it's actually easier than bag acclimating...good luck!

I bought mine from a breeder who unfortunately has had problems so he no longer is doing it. If you find good stock, keep them in a tank with good cover and warm water you will find them quite hardy. Plenty of water changes and they will prosper.

they had GBR in my lfs today. definitely a fish that i would like to add to my aquarium. still waiting for my tank to cycle so can't get any yet.

Eco23, drip acclimating sounds interesting. how is that done?

I've never been into GBRs, but I have dealt with gold rams and EBRs extensively. I think that they are probably even touchier than the GBRs since they are a selectively bred color variant.

It all comes down to picking healthy fish from a good source.

tropical-fish said:
they had GBR in my lfs today. definitely a fish that i would like to add to my aquarium. still waiting for my tank to cycle so can't get any yet.

Eco23, drip acclimating sounds interesting. how is that done?

Some people have really fancy ways of drip acclimating...I just use what I've already got. You'll just need a piece of air line tubing, a bucket, a large clean pitcher and something to clamp down on the hose with to limit the flow of water. I use a paper clamp, but they also sell $1 valves that are made specifically for drip acclimating.

- I float the bag for 20-30 minutes to match the temps
- Take a large clean pitcher and put it in a bucket next to the tank (bucket is to catch water if it overflows out of the pitcher)
- Pour the fish and the bag water into the pitcher
- Get a syphon going with the airline tube from the tank into the bucket (just suck on it and it comes flowing out)
- Take your clamp or valve and squeeze the air line tube so the water comes out in a slow but steady drip...drip...drip
- Once you've got the drip going just place the tube into the pitcher so it slowly starts adding water in with the fish
- Go find something to do for an hour, lol
- When the pitcher is mostly full, I dump out half of it and repeat the process
- When it fills up again...I net the fish and put him in the tank. The fact you're using a pitcher helps with pouring the fish out and into the net

I've always thought this way is easier and less hassle than bag acclimating and it's obviously the most beneficial way for your fish. Basically you just get it going and it takes care of itself instead of having to deal with a bag floating in the tank and having to keep adding water every 15 minutes. Plus those darn bags never want to stay upright, lol.

wow haha I never did all this, I just did the bag acclimatization and he is just fine :) I love my gbr. Get one! You won't regret it.

Back
Top Bottom